Default Selling honey internationally

Does anyone have experience with selling honey to Canada, the EU or Latin America? I've had some international folks express interest in our Mead Magic Kickstarter, and I'm trying to work out a reward level specifically for non-US backers. I'd like to set up a complete kit, but on first read, the EU import regulations look prohibitive for a small shipper. (Canada seems to have an exemption level if you ship under 40 pounds in a batch, so that might be reachable for us.)

So I'm curious to know of anyone's experience selling honey from the US to another country, and any pitfalls I should consider.

Default Re: Selling honey internationally

I was approached by a guy who wanted to export my honey to Hong Kong. The tariffs were twice the cost of the honey. Now that makes sense, doesn't it?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Interesting. Makes the writer in me wonder if it was an honest desire for US honey, or something more devious afoot.

Yeah, I think the guy actually just wanted some free honey.

I had another guy from Yemen who wanted 5 gallon buckets of honey which he was going to ship to Yemen. He didn't like the illustration on the side of the bucket warning about kids drowning in inches of water. Muslims don't care for pictures of people apparently. I took him some round comb honey sections as a gift and he tore the paper label off of them, even though there were no pictures on it. I don't know what that was about.

He also wanted combs inside the bucket so buyers would know it was really honey. I didn't do that. He took 20 buckets, shipped some down to NY City, and finally paid for those, returning the others. That was a couple of years before 9-11. The deal fell thru.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I was approached by a guy who wanted to export my honey to Hong Kong. The tariffs were twice the cost of the honey. Now that makes sense, doesn't it?
    Actually it does. By placing high tariffs on imported goods, Japan ensures that it is more economical for their citizens to purchase goods produced within their country, thereby stimulating their economy. They are not falling for this free trade act their countrymen right out of business crap.

Hong Kong is in China.

The Boston Tea Party involved some [future] USA citizens* that were not happy about high tariffs on goods imported into this country.

*OK, technically they were not USA citizens since at the time the USA had not yet been formed.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Actually it does. By placing high tariffs on imported goods, Japan ensures that it is more economical for their citizens to purchase goods produced within their country, thereby stimulating their economy. They are not falling for this free trade act their countrymen right out of business crap.
    Well, what actually would not make sense would be if I would have paid to send honey to China, or more accurately paid China to take my honey at a lose.

Quote Originally Posted by joan View Post
    Hong Kong is in China.
    Well actually an Island outside China, and is a special administration of China. Kidd of like St. Thomas is to the U.S.

Not to split hairs, I realize sometimes the hands don't type what the mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Well, what actually would not make sense would be if I would have paid to send honey to China, or more accurately paid China to take my honey at a lose.
    why would you pay? I import quite a bit from Africa, Importation fees as well as tariffs are generally paid at the importers level. Is it different when exporting to China? I would not put it past the Chinese government to charge the exporter, and the importer as well.