Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New member organic, with 2yrs experience 4 hives

Thank you for the warm welcome BG honey
    I am keeping bees on the Olympic Peninsula day Bob bay. It is good to meet another beekeeper from the Northwest here also!
    Rachael

Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Moon View Post
    The only thing that doesn't make sense is in the link she says not to use evaporated cane sugar which is called Sucanet. I'm using refined cane sugar from Costco that is slightly brown color.
    1. I didn't say anything about Sucanet; I've never heard of it. I did said not to use evaporated cane juice.
    2. The organic sugar carried by Costco (at least here in Washington) is by Wholesome Sweeteners and comes in a green and yellow plastic bag. It is evaporated cane juice . . . says so right on the front of the bag. It also says so under "ingredients."
    3. I'm not 100% certain on this point, but I believe that to be organic, it cannot be refined. The refining process includes bleaching, which would make it not organic. On the Costco bag (the back this time) it says "One cup organic sugar = one cup refined sugar." Which would indicate the manufacturer, at least, doesn't consider refined sugar to be organic or vice versa.
    4. The simplest thing for you to do would be to go read everything on the bag. I certainly did . . . and I just did again.
    Last edited by Rusty67; 10-03-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    Rusty
    http://www.honeybeesuite.com "A Better Way to Bee"

Succanet is a darker version of dehydrated cane sugar. I am reading the Costco bag as I write this and if it is refined it is done so organically. 1cup equals one cup of refined as a comparison of how much to use for recipies. My bees are beautiful and going to have lots of stores for the winter. I sure wish there was scientific data on the use of organic sugar. My neighbor lost all his hives last year and had mites and Deseases while using cheap white beet round up ready sugar. No treatments or illnesses at all this year. I couldn't eat GMO sugar so am glad the bees like it this way. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I will let you all know how they overwinter
    Rachael

Welcome!

Thank you Heather glad to be here.
    Rachael