Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Solar fence chargers

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  jim81147 
#1 ·
The black bear population is on the increase in my area, so I am considering a fence on at least one of my yards.

There is no source of electricity at that yard, so I will have to use a solar charger. Anyone have a unit that they would recommend?

I have heard that at least one joule is require, but the ads seem to specify a number of miles range rather than joules of output. When joules are listed, it is generally less than one in the solar units. Is there a correlation between joules and miles of range?

#7 ·
Ignore mileage ratings as an indicator of power.
A joule is an actual unit of energy measurement.

I've seen one company advertise a 25 mile rating for their AC fence energizer, but when it was solar powered, they figured 1/2 joule would power 25 miles of fence...fence rating is whatever they want it to be.

I'm presently using a 1 joule unit. there are often bears sighted around the yard, but they've not bothered the hives inside the fence.

I'm planning the fencing for a much larger yard, and intend to use a much more powerful energizer, both because the fence will be much longer, and it is more likely that the fence line will have more grass/weed growth due to a(likely) longer period btw fence inspection/maint walks.

For a yard that's not oversized, and not likely to see potential neglect where maint. is concerned, a 1-2 joule fence should serve well, so long as it is properly grounded.

#9 ·
The solar charger I like best is a Parmak Magnum 12. I have several yards protected by solar energizers and the Parmak has worked without issue - though I think I will replace the battery sometime before the upcoming winter #3. Yes I leave the fence on year round and it does get shorted out by snow but it is working when I need it come spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.