Default First Mite Count and a Surprise

My one and only hive is a 10 frame all medium super. The hive was started the past Spring. Today was the 3rd day of my first sticky board mite check. to the best of my ability, I counted 25.

I also found the single larva that is in the attached pictures. Some beekeepers on Facebook say it may be Small Hive Beetle or Wax Moth .

This all very new to me. Would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Big Bert

IMG_20130916_172545.jpgIMG_20130916_173926.jpg

Default Re: First Mite Count and a Surprise

I say wax moth

Hi there, I am just north of you. It really doesn't matter at this point if it is a moth or a beetle larva. What is important is to get into the hive to determine if there is a problem in there.

FYI, I started my hives this year and was not able to observe any varroa until August. I've been treating with oxalic acid vapor, and the mite counts have been falling.
    Pete. New 2013, 7 hives, zone 6a
    To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous.

I plan to get into the hive tomorrow (tues). I did a pretty thourogh inspection 2 weeks ago and saw nothing abnormal (to me anyway). Hopefully there isn't a problem.

Thanks!

This information may be of some help,
    http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creat...arroa_mite.htm

common name: varroa mite
    scientific name: Varroa destructor Anderson and Trueman (Arachnida: Acari: Varroidae)

Introduction - Distribution - Description - Life Cycle - Economic Importance - Detection - Management - Selected References

Introduction (Back to Top)

The varroa mite, Varroa destructor Anderson and Truemann, is the world's most devastating pest of Western honey bees, Apis mellifera (Hymenoptera: Apidae). Although the varroa complex includes multiple species, V. destructor is the species responsible for the vast majority of the damage attributed to mites from this genus. Until 2000, it was believed that V. jacobsoni Oudemans was the mite responsible for widespread honey bee colony losses. However, taxonomic work published in 2000 (Anderson and Trueman 2000) indicated that a previously-unidentified species of varroa (V. destructor) was responsible for the damage, while V. jacobsoni was shown to be only moderately harmful to western honey bees. This publication is limited to V. destructor.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

if they are between the screen board an your bottom board its not unusual. i get them all of the time because the bees cant get at them, i always kill them when i see them but tis mostly for spite !