Default Tough trap-out ** Need Advice **

I have been attempting a trap-out of the crawl-space of an old house with little results. There is no access to the crawl space as it has all been sealed with concrete. The bees found a way in through a 1/2 gap in the wall. I used window screen and formed a cone shape for the bees to escape, but keep them from going back in. Outside the cone exit I placed a 5 frame nuc with good frames of drawn comb.

After two weeks of little to no bees in my box and several trips back to seal up holes in my extensive tape job around the cone, I was still seeing little interest. At that point, I placed a contained queen inside the nuc to lure the bees over. I also sprayed the frames of comb with sugar water and placed a small dab of swarm lure paste in the nuc. I expected to return after a few days with a nuc overflowing with bees. Today when I returned, it had only several hundred bees in the nuc. Due to time constraints, I had to pull the nuc today and I placed the frames of bees into an 8 frame deep, along with my new queen (mated, marked and clipped). I also gave the hive a frame of brood and larvae from a strong existing hive of mine. I misted them all with syrup so they could get used to each other since time did not allow for a newspaper combine. I then placed a syrup feeder inside the new hive and installed an entrance reducer.

So, do you all think I have a shot at this hive overwintering if we keep some sugar cakes or fondant on them all winter?

Default Re: Tough trap-out ** Need Advice **

You could stack it on a double screen over a full hive to help with warmth.

Can't go through the floor anywhere for a cutout?

I am with MrBeeman on this one. I would lean toward a cutout. Trap outs in crawl spaces, buildings, etc. are difficult due to ease of additional entrances/exits.

To the question at hand, it depends on how fast they can build up before Winter in Kansas, if there are enough bees to keep the cluster warm, if you can get them enough honey to get them through. Certainly possible, but, will require some work.

cchoganjr

I think it is too late in the season for there to be a good outcome with either.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

If the homeowner wants them out that bad then they should let you put a little bigger hole in the concrete wall, like at least an inch round, it can be patched later. Take a nuc box or any box, put a solid top and bottom on it with plywood or something, and put a hole in one side of the box that is at least the same size as the hole in the wall and put the box right up tight to the wall so the holes line up. Inside the box have brood frames preferably, with some honey in one of the combs. Support the box well to keep the holes lined up. Also drill another hole in another side of the box that is not against the wall for an entrance. The bees will have to go through the box to get into their nest, it will take some figuring out for them, but they'll figure it out pretty quick. With them having to cross through the box all the time they will start using the box as part of the nest, and if your lucky the queen may come out into the box to lay, which is what you want to happen. You'll have to check every few days at most, lift the cover, pull frames to check for eggs and the queen. Once you get her in there its a piece of cake to get the whole mess of bees out of the crawlspace, just remove the hive away from the wall a foot or so and leave it there and the bees will follow the queen. This may take some time to work, if you have that much time.