Hybrid View

Default Delayed swelling???

So I got tagged on the finger by one of my ladies as I was losening the tie down strap to do an inspection, no big deal right?

Today I put some lotion (Gold Bond) on my dry hands and the now I am swelling up. I assume this is nothing to worry about but since its the first time I figured i'd put my concern to bed.

Regards,
    Loptr

Default Re: Delayed swelling???

I don't swell up too much unless i get it on the wrists. Day one has very little noticable swelling. Day two it is obvious that i have been stung, and by the end of day three I look deformed from mid-forearm to my knuckles. the swelling subsides on day 4 or 5. Everyone reacts a bit differently. I have never had any difficulty breathing or had any strange feelings after a sting, so i don;t worry much about it.

For me, day one, no problem! Day two, very swollen...Day three, hideously swollen!! Starts to subside on day 4 or 5 usually....I still have 'scars' from stings received months ago... And I do this why??? Honestly, the swelling is tolerable. It's when I get the "OMG I can't stand the itch" sting that drives me NUTS!!! It seems every sting is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    ......... It's when I get the "OMG I can't stand the itch" sting that drives me NUTS!!! .

Try preporation H cooling gel

My husband looked like the Michelen Man from fingers to elbow and knee to ankle when he got stung 2 times ago. Took 2 days for full swelling. Couldn't put on boots for 3 days. Last time not as bad. Antihistamines are your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Jorgenson View Post
    Antihistamines are your friend.
    So is a good suit and a pair of gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    It seems every sting is unique.
    Me too. Yesterday I got one in the soft skin between thumb and forefinger. It hurt worse than usual. My thumb went numb immediately, and then I felt it rush up my arm into my head. As I watched the area and walked quickly away from hives (I had jacket, no gloves, just setting up some cinder blocks and pulling grass) as I walked away the sting area got purple/red blotchy and it's still there today. Swelled up pretty bad. My guess it that it hit right on a small vein or capillary and went right into my blood system. I can usually tolerate leaving the stinger in for awhile but I had to get this one out asap.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Unless you've stopped breathing, you'll live. When I get hit on the hand or finger, first thing I do is pull my rings. Second is to start a course of anti-histamine for the next three days....it helps a lot! except for the itching and the pain....

Quote Originally Posted by tacomabees View Post
    Unless you've stopped breathing, you'll live.
    Yoink

I like the antihistamine suggestion. Like I said I thought it was strange to swell up so suddenly the day after simply from applying lotion. But I have seen/experinced stranger things.

Thanks all,
    loptr
    Last edited by Loptr; 09-17-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo