Default how do you know if its real honey

Hope this is not a dumb question but for those of you who feed your bees...which I do myself in the fall. If they are storing this honey for the winter...come spring when they start to collect nectar and fill honey supers how do you know if it is real honey or not the sugar water honey that they packed in the fall mixed in with the spring honey? Hope my questions makes sense. I want to make sure I am harvesting natural honey next year and not the sugar water stuff. Thanks!

Default Re: how do you know if its real honey

I add food coloring to my feed, makes it real easy to identify sugarwater vs honey, and can even tell when they blend it.

That is a great idea!

Harley Craig - sounds like a good idea. Have you found a certain color to work best? How much food coloring do you add to your syrup?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

If you stop feeding when there is enough flow in the spring for the bees to feed their selves, and don't harvest from (brood) boxes that are on before you add "honey" supers, and don't feed or treat when honey supers are on - then the honey in your supers should not contain any feed. Of course if your bees forage from a non-nectar source (there was a story about soft drink waste or something once) then you might not have pure honey.

One of the beautiful things about the old school deep brood, excluder, shallow supers arrangement is that it provides a clear division between bee feed and your harvestable honey.

What David says, if you've been feeding, when spring flow hits add new supers, you can pull whatever is left and feed back to the bees when there's a dearth etc... or give to splits.

Just to add to what others have correctly stated, its not a good idea to harvest from brood boxes if you are one who feeds syrup at any time of the year, I know that there are some out there who do harvest outside frames from brood boxes occasionally, because they have said so on this forum. A good rule to follow is not feeding anytime you have honey supers on that you will eventually extract. Keep your brood frames and honey frames separate when in storage so you always know what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    I add food coloring to my feed, makes it real easy to identify sugarwater vs honey, and can even tell when they blend it.
    Interesting idea. Does the die stain the comb?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Craig View Post
    I guess that would work, but why do it in the first place, just wondering?

Think I'd rather have a small amount of sugar in my honey rather than food coloring.

Amount of sugar in honey should be minimal if you don't harvest any frame from brood boxes and stop feeding when you add the honey supers on.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!