Hybrid View

Default I want to leep thos thread going on Warre Hives

Hey everyone,is anyone out there that has. A few Warre Hives please I want to know if modified warre are worth working,and if anyone likes it better,I'm all wishy washy on what hives I want to go with.�� Anyone

Default Re: I want to leep thos thread going on Warre Hives

I started with a Warre and have since added a Perone and three TBH's. Of the three I like the TBH the most and the Warre the least. While I wouldn't call it "unmanageable," it is very difficult to monitor when compared to hives with more moveable frames and unless you super it, lifting the whole hive in the spring alone can be tough. If you want a natural comb hive without foundation I would recommend a TBH. Easy to build, easy to inspect, and just plain fun.

A natural comb hive can also be had with a 5 frame or 8 frame Lang by simply using foundationless frames. Hope this helps.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

If you follow the Warre' design exactly, then you'll have top bars with no guides and they will be nailed in. These are both problematic to having inspectable comb. Inspectable comb is not only important to good beekeeping but is legally required in almost all the US states. On the other hand, if you don't nail them in and put comb guides on them and you manage them carefully it is possible to have it inspectable.

I think one of the pitfalls of TBH and Warre' hives is not so much the design as the mentality of people who chose them. They often seem to want to never open them and work them and the design is such that they require more frequent, not less frequent, interventions. One good comb leads to another and one bad comb leads to another. You need to make sure the combs are straight and on the top bars so the next will be straight and on the top bars.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,

have you ever seen a Warré hive? I just wonder...

You nail the topbars - but you use nails without heads. You either pinch off the nail heads or use special nails without heads. This way you can lift the topbars and push them back into place. This is the method by Émile Warré himself, you can find it in his book.

Every decent Warré beekeeper uses starter strips. Émile Warré did himself and you can find it in his book. If it weren't crucial, the Abbé Warré would have pruned it out of the system. But it is needed to get decent comb. So it is part of the system to use starter strips.

I inspect Warré hives regularily. Usually every week or two. The best way to do it is, to look from below, means you turn each box on it's side. I have posted some pictures in another thread.

Yes, mentality of some Warreors is a problem. Some just are afraid getting into full contact with bees. Those people should not keep bees. Nothing natural about letting bees getting into a bad state. Luckily there are others that know how to care for bees and take their stings. Unfortunately those beekeepers are not writing much. It seems the more people write the less their experience. Anyway, most of the know-it-all folks go silent after a while, as did their bees...

>have you ever seen a Warré hive? I just wonder...

Yes. I have seen several that had no comb guides and were nailed in and several that were modified from that to have comb guides and not be nailed in. It's been a while since I read the Abbe' Warre's book, and I admit I was more skimming it as I was not trying to build a Warre' but I don't remember any starter strips. One of these days I need to read it again.

My concern was always what to do if they attach one box to the one below. I have not had them, but have often asked the people who's Warre's I've seen how that works and they all seemed to have problems with it. A "cheese cutter" seems like the most useful way to deal with it but I have no real feel for how much of a problem it is.

I agree with several of Warre's conclusions but disagree with some as well. Some I'm just more in the middle on, such as the whole "brood nest scent and warmth" thing. I think too much interference probably does cause issues with this. But I don't see the brood nest as some sacred place you cannot go and while I think sometimes people get carried away with ventilation, some seems to work out well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF