Hybrid View

Default chokecherry melomel?

Has anyone here ever made this?

We picked a batch of chokecherries at our place in upstate Ny last month, and made jelly from them. It was some of the best jelly I've ever had. The flavor was cherry-like, but much richer,and with all sorts of subtle elements.

Just wondering if I should make some melomel with them next summer?

Default Re: chokecherry melomel?

I planted some last year hoping to make mels from them in a few years. They supposed to make a great wine so should make a good mead. WVMJ
    Meadmaking with WVMJ at Meads and Elderberry Winemaking

I have made a lot of wine over the last fity some years. My Grand dad had me making it when I was way too young to drink it. The only caution I would have is that the cherries are small and I would rack it off the fruit quickly after a short fast fermentation or the tannin from the pits can get a bit intense for some. Ten days is good. I pour boiling water over berries to kill critters and go from there. Two gallons of berries is enough for at least six gallons of wine. I am making my first mead with it as soon as the weather turns cooler and my basement stays more stable below seventy.

Personally.. Although a pain it would be, I'd pit them..

And I'd freeze the fruit first, this gets you past the boiling-water part without worry of the hot water setting some of the pectin and causing a haze (takes more pectic enzmye than normal, when the pectin has been heated)

I'd only add enough water to the juice, to bring the acidity in-check.

Made some regular cherry wine, but havent got my hands on chokecherries yet..
    Same process though..

It would be tough to pit them, because there's very little flesh between the skin and pit. To make the jelly, we boiled them with a fair amount of water until the fruits burst open, then strained off all but the juice. The flavor was still unbelievably intense. You might not need a lot to give a fairly deep flavor and beautiful color.

Yeah I was aware there wasnt much flesh, just not sure how willingly the flesh gives up the pit.. If it clings, then pitting wouldnt be worth it & something like that might be a better option..

But if you can get the pits out, you'll benefit from the flesh of the fruit spending more time in the fermentation..

'Ideal' and 'possible' dont always work well together, lol