Default Oregon Grape Mead

Oregon Grapes......Mahonia Aquifolium......not grapes at all but a low bush, tough as nails, grows in my yard in a couple places. Never gets any water, nor any care from me. Does very well. The small yellow flowers are quite popular with the bees and there are clusters of dark blue berries in the fall. The berries are not sweet at all, kind of like Elderberries.
    I never knew they are edible until this year. The plant has medicinal qualities, especially the roots.

Anyhow, I picked 28 ounces of the berries and crushed them, mixed the pulp with a quart of honey, added water to make one gallon.

I put in some yeast nutrient and some metabisulfite to kill the wild yeast. SG reading was about 1.120. Next day strained the must and pitched Lalvin EC 1118. Should ferment out to about 15% alcohol?

Right now it is fermenting like crazy.

I am hoping it will have the rich, earthy flavor of the berries and I may back sweeten a bottle.
    The color is amazingly dark blue. Beautiful.

Default Re: Oregon Grape Mead

More like 18.16% ABV and Lalvin EC-1118 will tolerate that alcohol. I would have left all the pulp and skins in the mix, and added 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme. It would do wonders for the body. Let us know how it turns out.

Well, the seeds can be bitter, so I wanted to avoid that. I did squeeze out as much juice as I could so maybe some of the pulp got in there. I let the fruit soak over night before I strained it.

The seeds will only impart bitterness if crushed or left in the mead too long. I use fruit bags and remove pulp after 5 days as a rule. But racking off the lees as soon as the SG reaches 1.015 or less works too.

Thanks, Tenbears. Your tips are appreciated.
    I'm doing what I can to catalog your advice from the various threads into a body of knowledge for my mead making.
    The attention to detail will help get from good to better to great.
    Thanks, buddy.

I cannot begin to tell you how greatly improved my mead making has become since The advent of the computer. saving information so as to have it available at the touch of a button is far superior to looking through dozens of notebooks. or relying on memory. Most fortunately for me the PC came along at the right time because my memory was starting to slip. LOL.