Default Behavior - Queen outside of hive

Today by chance I went by one of my hives and noticed a cluster of bees on the ground. Thinking they had caught an errant wasp or bumble bee I suited up and took a closer look. I found a queen within all the bees. I placed her in a queen catcher and started to ponder a solution. I called a beekeeper buddy and he thought I had inadvertently mishandled a frame and she fell off. No because I have not been in this hive since the beginning of August. So I took a chance and placed her on the landing board and she marched into the hive.

I am wondering if this behavior is a prelude to another activity I should prepare for?

Thanks

Default Re: Behavior - Queen outside of hive

You need to check the hive for swarm cells or evidence of a virgin queen in the colony.

Default Re: Behavior - Queen outside of hive

Thank you for the post. To close the loop on this it seems this incident has resolved itself as the hive has not swarmed nor are there any queen cells.

As an aside, I had another hive supersede a queen I bought and introduced back in April. It was a small swarm and when the swarm returned to the hive the queen was balled. I now have her remains in a medicine bottle. I inspected this hive and saw the new young queen as she dove into the brood chamber. I also noticed the population was heavy and they were starting to backfill the brood chamber.

I also noticed this hive is still raising drones.