Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Honey temperature

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    Mark, I run at a lot less temp than that and have no problem removing most crystals. Yea its faster at 130, but drums held at 110 do just fine. never had an issue getting it to liquefy at 110. some takes a bit longer.
    There are probably a lot of crystal left, but it flows bottles and stores fine. Maybe differnt types of honeys, but never had to run up higher unless makeing creamed honey.
    Yes, but I don't liquify barrels. I avoid using them. What I was writing about was liquifying honey for bottling. Batches of 20 gallons at a time. I serll direct to stores and don't want it crystalizing on the shelf. I have tried lower temps and found it to crystalize.

Whatever works for you.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Mark, thanks for the info I'll look them up then, what's the max temp you can get the water to? John

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yes, but I don't liquify barrels. I avoid using them. What I was writing about was liquifying honey for bottling. Batches of 20 gallons at a time. I serll direct to stores and don't want it crystalizing on the shelf. I have tried lower temps and found it to crystalize.

Whatever works for you.
    Ahh makes more sense we are on differnt pages. Your looking longer term. We avoid that and actualy advertise as such. anything that crystalizes we take back and handle it. (hot box).

If you want a pail liquifier, an old hot tub works great, and is cheap.... Wifes not crazy about when I use hers, but I do anyway at times. Craigslist and 200.00 will get you one all set up with 105 usualy being the max you can set it at.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Mark, thanks for the info I'll look them up then, what's the max temp you can get the water to? John
    MAXANT Bottling tanks can go to temps above 200 degrees. Not that you ever want to take honey higher than 160 or it will burn.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    Ahh makes more sense we are on differnt pages. Your looking longer term. We avoid that and actualy advertise as such. anything that crystalizes we take back and handle it. (hot box).

If you want a pail liquifier, an old hot tub works great, and is cheap.... Wifes not crazy about when I use hers, but I do anyway at times. Craigslist and 200.00 will get you one all set up with 105 usualy being the max you can set it at.
    I don't think my tank for warming buckets cost $200.00.

Yea, but does you tank double as a hot tub???

MAXANT Bottling tanks can go to temps above 200 degrees. Not that you ever want to take honey higher than 160 or it will burn.
    Mark, I was actually referring to your water bath tank that you use for heating hard buckets of honey, what's the max temp on that tank?

I don't know. Probably the same. The heating element is the same as you have in your house's water heater.

If it is partly crystalized you will have to raise the temperature up to 140 degrees at least and more likely 150 to get rid of all of the crystals.

That sure seems like a HUGE tank. I have two Maxant Bottling Tanks which each hold 25 gallons each, which is plenty for me. I bottle as much as 30,000lbs of honey per year using both of them.

I can't imagine washing out a 55 gallon bottling tank.
    I can't imagine bottling 30, 000 lbs of honey. Both of our minds were blown I guess.

It's not something one does all at once.

I guess my concern with heating it to the point where it destroys or melts all of the crystals in the honey is that it damages the nutritional value of it? Maybe I'm off base on my thinking, I need to read up on honey and honey bottling more. I think I've got a couple of good books on it. I'm trying to sell the highest quality product possible and perhaps I'm under the mistaken assumption that means not heating your honey over a certain temp.

Pasteurizing:

Definition of PASTEURIZATION
    1: partial sterilization of a substance and especially a liquid (as milk) at a temperature and for a period of exposure that destroys objectionable organisms without major chemical alteration of the substance

Based off of this definition I know people are going to say 'Well honey doesn't have any organisms or bacteria in it etc... etc... etc..' I'm just referring to heating it to a point where it alters the flavor and destroys the pollen grains in it.
    We the willing have done so much with so little for so long we can now do anything with nothing

If you heat it to 160 degrees for a period of time you will alter, notice I wrote alter, the color, because you have burnt the sugars in the honey. This may or may not alter the taste. It will not destroy the taste. Unless you really burn it. Caramelize it.

The pollen is still there.

I don't think anyone really depends on nutrition when consuming honey. I think you are holding nutritional value of honey too high. It's a sweetener. A special sweetener because of how it's made, where it comes from.

If you are as concerned as you say, then you should not be heating it at all. You should be bottling it in the appropriate jars and selling it as RAW Honey. No matter what your customers may wish to have. Educate them that you don't heat it for reasons you hold. Me, I give people choices. Liquid or RAW. RAW meaning unheated and unstrained.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12