Default bees chew out entrance reducer?

I have erroded areas along the top of the entrance reducer. Did the girls do this or shoud I be lookingfor something more ominous? It is not a lot of damage but looks saw toothed.

Default Re: bees chew out entrance reducer?

if its on the outside its skunks, coons or arimdillios.....

Don't forget mice

I've heard stories and seen pictures of bees chewing on the entrance reducer, but haven't seen it myself. Maybe they didn't like the reducer itself, maybe they didn't like the paint on it.

I second what the others have said. If it's on the exposed part of the reducer you most likely have an animal trying to get in.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Bees don't have Teeth

They have something. My bees chewed corks from the inside when I closed off a few entrances in my TBH. They didn't eat through them, but you could see rounded edges.

Quote Originally Posted by janellesHoneyRockets View Post
    Bees don't have Teeth
    No but they can still make short work of cardboard Hopguard strips. You'd be surprised at what 50,000 determined bees can chew through.
    Try it. What could happen?

My entrance reducers show the same damage, from the inside.

Honeybees have mandibles. In mammals, mandibles are essentially jawbones. In honeybees ....
    Mandible(s). The honey bees have a pair of mandibles located on either the side of the head that act like a pair of pliers. The mandibles are used for any chores about the hive that require grasping or cutting, such as working wax to construct the comb, biting into flower parts (anthers) to release pollen, carrying detritus out of the hive, or gripping enemies during nest defense.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/ahb/inf2.html
    Not only do honeybees bite, but they also may be delivering paralyzing anesthesia with those bites:

Honeybees secrete 2-heptanone (2-H) from their mandibular glands when they bite. Researchers have identified several possible functions: 2-H could act as an alarm pheromone to recruit guards and soldiers, it could act as a chemical marker, or it could have some other function. The actual role of 2-H in honeybee behaviour remains unresolved. In this study, we show that 2-H acts as an anaesthetic in small arthropods, such as wax moth larva (WML) and Varroa mites, which are paralysed after a honeybee bite.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0047432
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    No but they can still make short work of cardboard Hopguard strips. You'd be surprised at what 50,000 determined bees can chew through.
    Indeed! Bees will chew at wood if they feel the need to do so....and they usually succeed

Bees do indeed chew. Last year I was given 4 packages of bees that were lost in the mail for over three weeks. An effort to save what could be saved. Three of the four queens were still alive, and about 20 to 40 percent of the bees, in each box, were alive. I combined the bees with one queen, and used the other two queens to make splits.

As I shook the bees from the packages, there was at least a cup full of saw-like dust in each of the packages. Being trapped for three weeks, they were trying to chew their way out of the cages. Bumble bees make this same saw dust- like debris.

cchoganjr

Thanks so much for the helpful responses! I have seen racoons and armidillos in the area, but the damage appears slight from what I would expect from those critters. I have not seen the top of the entrance all summer because there has always be a line of bees shoulder to shoulder head down along it. I do think it probable that the girls did the damage.