Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Bees Gone Wild

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    556

    Default Bees Gone Wild

    I have a 6 mediums hive that has been amazingly strong all summer, and when I just looked out there, it has bees all over the place. This was a package w/Italian queen from the south that I just lucked out on this summer - she's on overdrive. I'm almost afraid they'll swarm, but it's getting colder now, so I hope that slows them up.

    Do 6 mediums overwinter well, or should I condense them into more like 4 supers? I'm afraid they won't be able to heat 6 supers all winter.

    I've already taken brood and honey out of this hive and swapped them into my pokey hive, which continues to be pokey. If it were earlier in the summer I'd probably split this hive into 3.

    The south was delayed in delivering our packages this spring due to stubborn weather, 2 or 3 weeks behind schedule. Maybe the delay did them good. The package arrived with 2 beautiful white combs already going, so they've been productive since day 1. I'd like to meet that bee breeder.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Baytown, TX., USA.
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    What breeder sold them to you? Maybe we need some!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    ha - yeah. I ordered thru a local beekeeper who takes a run down south every spring and transports hundreds of packages up here, so I don't know exactly where they came from, somewhere in Georgia I think. I should ask him.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Forsyth county, GA
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    Several good producers down here....I'm in GA so little warmer than you in the winter! I had some in 3 mediums and they did great....if you have another supper of honey 4 probably good for you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    Georgia must be great for raising bees. Shorter winters must make them happier and easier to beekeep.

    Then again, we don't have hive beetles...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    8,979

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    That would be my normal hive. So if all 6 mediums are occupied you should be able to harvest 2 mediums of honey. But I caution you to look in the bottom box. It may be empty (or full of pollen). If it is you can take one box of honey safely. The size of the hive is not important it is the size of the colony that matters. The beekeeper determines the size of the hive by how many boxes he / she throws on. The bees do what they want which may not be what the beekeeper wants.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    carney, maryland, USA
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    I have a 6 mediums hive that has been amazingly strong .....
    Congratulations! I am a second-year beek; I wish I had chosen 8-frame mediums instead of 8-frame deeps. They are a bit heavy when full. I wanted to clarify, are your hives 6-frame mediums? How do you like them?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    Congratulations! I am a second-year beek; I wish I had chosen 8-frame mediums instead of 8-frame deeps. They are a bit heavy when full. I wanted to clarify, are your hives 6-frame mediums? How do you like them?
    Ah. No, they're 10 frame mediums, and can get heavy, but not as heavy as 10 frame deeps, which would be about impossible to lift.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    That would be my normal hive. So if all 6 mediums are occupied you should be able to harvest 2 mediums of honey. But I caution you to look in the bottom box. It may be empty (or full of pollen). If it is you can take one box of honey safely. The size of the hive is not important it is the size of the colony that matters. The beekeeper determines the size of the hive by how many boxes he / she throws on. The bees do what they want which may not be what the beekeeper wants.
    I haven't been all the way to the bottom box in about a month. There were about 5 empty frames then, so you might be right.

    I hadn't planned on taking honey this year - just going to try to get a hive successfully thru a winter first. Except for a frame. Who can resist a frame. And to add to the weaker hive.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Franklin, New Hampshire
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    ha - yeah. I ordered thru a local beekeeper who takes a run down south every spring and transports hundreds of packages up here, so I don't know exactly where they came from, somewhere in Georgia I think. I should ask him.
    NeebeeInNH-

    Mind sharing who you got this package from? I got two packages thru B-Line out of Hudson. 1 bad package and 1 good package (I think 1 was a good package).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Strafford County, NH
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: Bees Gone Wild

    That was it! I only ordered 1 this year, last year I ordered 2 but they didn't overwinter well, which probably says more about me than about those 2 packages.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads