Thread: A dull roar.

Default A dull roar.

So yesterday I decided to go and pick up another nuc from the guy who got me started with my first. Now before you say it I know its late in the season and these bees might not make it through the winter but I wanted another hive so here we are.
    The install went fine, the nuc had a five full frames not allot of bees but I was happy that at least all the frames were drawn, they had some honey and some capped and uncapped brood. I did not see the queen. I placed a robber screen on the hive and a pail feeder above the brood chamber with 2:1 with some pro health closed them up, and called it a success.
    Went back later in the day to find that the girls were having some issues finding their way in but I didn't think it was an issue because the other hive figured it out after a few days.

Today at lunch went out and checked them again the girls were still having issues finding the entrance so I removed the robber screen and put in the entrance reducer on, the bees that had been clinging to the screen immediately began to find their way in. I noticed some bees flying under the hive stand so I took a peek the SBB had a bunch of bees clinging to it (i'm assuming that it was the ones who couldn't find their way in) I brushed them off (they didn't like that) and decided to take a look inside, not an inspection just a quick look.
    There was a dull roar coming from inside, So did I kill my queen? or are they just adjusting to their new home? any thoughts? I will give them a week before I go in again and see if there is any eggs/larva unless you think I should do something different. your thoughts are appreciated.

Default Re: A dull roar.

Joe...First, throw all your 'winter worries' away. They will do just fine. It's Florida...wintering really doesn't apply to us. Are you sure there was a queen in the Nuc? Did he show her to you before you took the Nuc home, or did he tell you she was definitely in there?

Okay winter worries out the window
    No he didn't say anything about the queen. Pretty much just put the nuc in the back of the truck and that was it. I did a fairly though inspection before hiving them and didn't see her. I'm not sure if I squashed her somehow or if maybe she was in the bottom of the nuc or what happened. They definitely didn't seem too happy. No stings but allot of them were bouncing off my veil.

I'm hoping the cluster of bees underneath the SBB didn't have the queen in it.

Was this nuc just made up when you when and got it or was it established? The guy you got it from should have told you how the nuc was created.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

What was the prior use of the box you put them into? Was it new equipment? I have observed that if I have a colony get slimed out by SHB that new bees introduced to that box, even after its cleaned and aired out for a month+, don't like to go in. I had a cutout job refuse the box, even with the caged queen inside. They wouldn't cover their own combs from the cutout. Two days later these combs were also infested with SHB so I threw it all out and gave them fresh foundation. This seemed enough to coax them in. They've stayed ever since, going on three months and are building up well.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

this is new equipment. The nuc looked like it had been pretty well established as all frames had lots of bur comb joining them together. I was thinking that maybe the queen was on the sbb but really couldn't tell there was a pretty big cluster. If she is OS the box will she find her way in? I belive these nucs were made up about 5 months ago.
    Last edited by Joeinthehills; 09-12-2013 at 07:38 PM.

I have read posts that say it is not uncommon for a swarm to collect underneath a hive. If so that means there should be a queen inside. Maybe a virgin?
    Brian Cardinal

Guess who just saw their fat healthy looking queenie.... I did. Woo hoo...still had some not so happy girls though AHB ? Or just not happy being disturbed this early. They lit me up.

Great! Could be they had just about enough of you tearing into their house looking for someone that is shy.
    Brian Cardinal