Default Installing new queen

I lost my old queen about two weeks ago and have one ready to put into the hive. Should I just release her or let them eat the candy so they get to know her. Having been queenless I would think they would be happy to see her. Thoughts? Thanks.

Default Re: Installing new queen

Anytime they have not know the queen you are introducing it's best to do a gradual introduction. A candy cage. A push in cage. Something... I suppose you MIGHT get away with one of the old tricks like flour or powdered sugar or light syrup... but I would use a candy cage.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael---I just used the candy cage. How long before I should go in and get the cage. They have 26 bars of comb drawn with some pollen but very little honey. Most comb is empty. I'll probably start feeding soon but they have enough bees and the other hive is gathering plenty so they should have incentive now to get busy. Thanks, Mark

After introducing a queen, I'd leave them alone for a week or more. No point disrupting them until she's laying which makes her much more acceptable.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Make sure that you are positive that they have not already made/started making a new queen. If so they will kill your new queen. Two weeks queenless they usually would have made a new one.

Thanks guys. They had made a new queen and destroyed the extra queen cells but the virgin queen didn't make it back from her maiden flight. My time line wasn't correct---her flight was 7-10 days ago assuming it started when the extra queen cells were torn down. I never did see her so maybe the queen cells weren't good. New queen is installed and fingers crossed. Thanks again, Mark