Default New Emergency Queen Barely Laying

September 11, California's Sacramento Valley. I have an emergency new queen that practically isn't laying. Accordingly, bee population of the hive has severely dwindled. I noticed she is moving alone with no attending bees nearby. Was she poorly mated? Can I remove it to provoke them raising a new one? I already gave them a frame of caped brood from a stronger hive to help with population losses.

California beekeepers! Are drones flying at this time of the year in case a new queen is raised? It's still warm, even hot outside, and this is the dry season. Thank you in advance for all your support.

Default Re: New Emergency Queen Barely Laying

How old is she, How long ago did she hatch?
    My swarm cell queen took what I thought was a very long time to start laying, but she eventually did and is doing well. Are you in a Dearth? maybe the hive needs some 1:1 to get them stimulated? Is there pollen coming in?

Glen
    You Tube bee Channel Zone 5A
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenGH

My guess is there are not enough resources to allow her to bomb out the comb. Its been pretty dry in sacremento right. Its hard to evaulate the queen without proper resources or knowing how she was made.

Put feed on if there is no bee bred and open nectar. Add nurse bees from another hive if population is low. She could very well be a poor queen, emergency queens are usually not great unless made within a large hive with adequate nectar and bee bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen H View Post
    How old is she, How long ago did she hatch?
    My swarm cell queen took what I thought was a very long time to start laying, but she eventually did and is doing well. Are you in a Dearth? maybe the hive needs some 1:1 to get them stimulated? Is there pollen coming in?

Glen
    She is 1-2 months old and has plenty of resources, honey and pollen. This was my best hive in spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Calbee View Post
    She is 1-2 months old and has plenty of resources, honey and pollen. This was my best hive in spring.
    Try 1:1. She needs wet nectar, sometimes capped or cured nectar is not enough to stimulate her as the hive wants to hold onto it as stores. Do you see any disease or much mites. Usually new queens lay like spring queens, rearing to go, ready to pop out a thousand eggs a day.

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    Try 1:1. She needs wet nectar, sometimes capped or cured nectar is not enough to stimulate her as the hive wants to hold onto it as stores. Do you see any disease or much mites. Usually new queens lay like spring queens, rearing to go, ready to pop out a thousand eggs a day.
    Thank you everyone for your insights. Using syrup would probably trigger more robbing done by other bees and ants which are already assaulting this hive. I am thinking to take them in a 5 frame nuc so there is less space for them to defend. I am inclined to think that she was poorly mated. I wonder why she doesn't have any attendees around her. Again, this was my best hive in spring. Other hives I have were doing not too well in spring, but re-queened themselves and have piqued up at a time when nectar flow was diminishing. No, this colony has no issues with mites. I do natural cell and most of my colonies have regressed. A week ago though I found wax moth that damaged two frames, but this was due to their inability to defend the hive because of a reduced hive population. Thanks a lot. I am open for more comments on the issue.