Default Smell outside of hive

I notice an odd smell outside of the hive, I suppose it could be described as yeasty. I have read this could be the fermentation of honey due to SHB larvae.

I do have a small amount of beetles in the hive but haven't noticed any destruction in months.

Does this seem consistent, what could the smell be?

Default Re: Smell outside of hive

You could inspect your hive to make sure the SHBs haven't slimed it, but I'll bet you, your smell is from goldenrod nectar. (I love that smell. I know I'm weird)
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-13-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: remove UNQuote

No slim last inspection, I've noticed the smell for months just seems stronger now.

How is the goldenrod honey?

[QUOTE= How is the goldenrod honey?[/QUOTE]

As I said, maybe I'm weird, but I like goldenrod honey. I think it has a little bit of a butterscotch taste

My hives have been stinky for about two weeks from the Goldenrod, I can smell it 100 feet away, if the wind is blowing my direction.
    Have never tasted it though, first year with bees. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a sample soon.

Glen
    You Tube bee Channel Zone 5A
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenGH

Yup that's the goldenrod. It's very good honey. Quite light in color this year here in NY.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I have smelled a distinct, somewhat yeasty, smell, too. But it predated by several weeks (detectable since late July/early August) the goldenrod flow. It is stronger when I'm messin' about the brood frames, so I thought it was just the smell of brood. No SHB slime here. I'm in upstate NY, too, and it began just about the time my previously queenless hives got themselves back in gear.

I associate it with happy, healthy, growing hives. But I am new at this game, so what do I know?

Enj.

It's actually the pollen.

enjambres, you predicted a good goldenrod crop because of all the rain earlier this year. How's it working out?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

One reason for the tremendous odors, more evident in the Fall, is, the bees are really socking away the nectar, not capping a lot of it, waiting for cooler weather to cap. Just socking nectar away while it is abundant.

And yes, more open pollen is being stored than is being used. That also contributes to Fall odors from the hives.

All of this unprocessed, uncapped nectar, and stored pollen, will produce odors, detectable from several feet, to several yards away from the hive. As soon as they start capping, you will not notice the odors.

cchoganjr