Question unorganized swarm?

I have witnessed two primary swarms during my first season (recaptured one). Yesterday evening I arrived home after work to find Hive #1 had again drained a quart of 1:1 sugar water. They have been pulling in a quart a day for about a week. An hour later I walked by to see and hear a small swarm. This swarm seemed different from the others I have seen. There were a good many bees in the air, but not as loud or as plentiful as before. The also seemed to be flying randomly instead of with purpose. I considered maybe a large orientation flight, but they were high up in the trees. I did locate a small ball of bees - softball sized, and placed them in a 8 frame medium hive just as it got dark. There were still random bees scattered around on limbs, so I left the medium hive for a couple hours, and then moved it to a stand. I will check it when I get home from work this afternoon. I will also check Hive #1 to see how many bees are left.

Could this have been a secondary swarm with a virgin queen? Is there much chance of mating or overwintering with a small swarm this late?

Default Re: unorganized swarm?

Could this have been a secondary swarm with a virgin queen? Is there much chance of mating or overwintering with a small swarm this late?[/QUOTE]Yes, it could be a small swarm with a virgin queen. I had a small swarm last week that I hived. They were about the size of a softball. I put them in a 5 frame nuc and I am going to try and over winter them. I am going to add a frame of bees and brood from one of my other hives to help strengthen them.

Default Re: unorganized swarm?

Hive 1 is still full of bees.

I found the queen and about 10 bees in the swarm hive. The queen looked "odd". While I was trying to get the camera ready to take a photo, she disappeared...I guess she flew off. Probably for the best.