Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Beetle Baffle Review

Wouldn't propolis build-up interfere with the intended design of the Beetle Baffle? It sounds like a slippery metal surface is important in preventing the beetles from making their way into the upper parts of the hive. I have not tried this device but I suspect it may have to be cleaned often for it to work optimally.

I think the shape has more to do with it. so far I have not found any surface that even remotely slows down the beetles climb. I think the idea is they get up behind it and its cozy there.

I agree, I believe the intent is for the angle to match that of the beetle's head.. So it can't "easily" make the change in direction. i.e. stuck in a corner..

I have no doubts that the product will work to some extent.. The question is to what, and whether it's worth the effort.
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

Thanks ordy28 for your response. That was the info I needed.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    I love this forum. Just because you keep bees, and read an article once about patents, that makes you an expert on them and ready/willing/able to provide LEGAL advice to others.

But forget the attorneys in the room, you know the ones who have had patent training. They probably don't know anything about the topic.
    Boy you have that right. Amazing isn't it? Beekeeping attracts a seems very attractive to certain personality type. I can't tell you how many beeks I've met but I can spot a rookie within 2 sentences. Extremely confident in whatever they are talking about, rarely wrong and if proven wrong a change in direction is usually the response and a general aire of superiority. New protective gear which is generally worn so there is not a square inch of exposed skin. They jump into this "hobby" and right away see how they can improve on the way us old turds do things. The biggest tell is the way their mouths work as in overtime.
    Anyway back to the Beetle thingamigiggy. I've always thought there has to be a way to exploit the physical differences that bees and She have. I'm just too dumb to have though of this one. From my understanding it is a barrier that exploits the mechanical limitations of the SHB ability to crawl/walk. The straps work like a drip edge in reverse. The beetles can't reach over the lip of the strip far enough to be able to climb up/over it. I suspect they have trouble flying very short distances so they can't just jump from the bottom onto a frame or side. Even if they could they would have to come to understand this is required to beat the baffle and there is no way they have this type of problem-solving abilities.
    As for keeping hives crowded I say this is a big part but it is always good to have populated hives. To have hives so strong as to be able to fight off every SHB onslaught means, to me anyway, that the hives have to be constantly on the verge of swarming. These beetles are worse than varroa IMO. Once they get a few eggs in some frames going the damage is incredible. I am going to make some of these straps myself and see if the patent police show up. I've made many things I theoretically could have tried to patent but I knew that if it is something I made then anyone could do so as well. It is too simple of a design to be able to protect but I hope a lot of people buy them before this becomes the norm. Maybe these guys will extract some coin from some beeks. They deserve it.
    Did you hear the one about the bee expert with 2 years experience that suggested "natural" Beekeeping is the only way we will survive through 2012?
    No IPM for this guy. He believes his superior brain will enable him to give instructions to the bees and tell the pests they should not bother his "girls"
    Pahleeze with all that garbage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123