Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Beetle Baffle Review

Any beeks out there have any success with this device? http://www.beetlebaffle.com/

Default Re: Beetle Baffle Review

I got a sample to try, installed it onto one of my hives about a month ago.

The version I got, which may have been a prototype, didn't fit my box quite right. The front part wouldn't stay in place, and I had to wedge it in place with some sticks. I was told I could have screwed the baffle into the box, but considering there weren't any screw holes in the item to start with, I decided it was too much work for me. It didn't appear to be designed to be screwed in, so I wasn't going to take the time to modify it, at least to start off.

The two side pieces are longer than the front and back. Considering that the front of a hive is usually open, this means the front piece will always fall off unless wedged with a stick (or something similar, or screwed/nailed in place). Making the front and back pieces longer would solve this.

The baffle also didn't exactly fit my box (mann lake) and bottom board (homemade, but to mann lake dimensions). There were gaps in the corners. I don't know if that is common, or just me. I was told by the seller that it was the first time he had heard that.

But I inspected the hive I installed it onto twice in the past month. Both times appeared to be light on hive beetles, although there were some present. Hard to tell if they were there before I installed the baffle, or came in after. Last week the hive absconded (leaky feeder). When they left, I didn't see many hive beetles in there. I had to leave the dead out in place for a few days, and when I came back there were hatched beetle larvae on the combs. Again, don't know if they were from eggs that were present before the baffle was installed, or after. Three and a half weeks or so isn't really long to test it out.

If I didn't get a free sample, I'd be willing to try it for around $5. At $16 I think it's marked too high for what I'd be willing to "try out," especially considering that I noticed a few design issues right out the gate.

Hope that helps.

Patent pending makes me laugh.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Why is that Ace??

Last year we lost a hive to SHB. I then spent much time and money putting beetle blasters in each box, on 2 or more frames per box.

That was last year. After reading Michael Bush's book (I think?) I am not spending any significant time on SHB, other than killing a few when I do an inspection. What I do is make sure there is no dead space, that is places where there is drawn comb with stores, but few or no bees. As I read in the book I err on keeping the bees "crowded". The beetles are there, but there is not much there there where they are not harrassed by the girls.

Try my beetle trap you wont spent much time or money. It has reduced the beetles in my haves by half or more.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ew-Beetle-Trap

I had the pleasure of hearing the developer speak on the Beetle Baffle. His research was thorough and was geared toward using a combination of items with the baffles to control the SHB. Not sure why patent pending makes Acebird laugh, but to each his own. Better safe than sorry later with a patent. BTW, the newest production has the baffles fitting snugly and there is also a leaflet with instructions so the questions of fastening them is now not an issue. Can't wait to get mine installed this week.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    Why is that Ace??
    Because the process is long and expensive. At 16 bucks retail you would have to sell a hundred thousand to make it worth your while. If the product actually worked I would guess that most beekeeper would copy it for there own use. That would make sales next to nothing.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    If the product actually worked I would guess that most beekeeper would copy it for there own use.
    Hence patent pending.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    Hence patent pending.
    If you are copying and making them for your own use and not selling it, then I don't believe it matters if it is patented or not.

Glen
    You Tube bee Channel Zone 5A
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenGH

Quote Originally Posted by ordy28 View Post
    I had the pleasure of hearing the developer speak on the Beetle Baffle. His research was thorough and was geared toward using a combination of items with the baffles to control the SHB. Not sure why patent pending makes Acebird laugh, but to each his own. Better safe than sorry later with a patent. BTW, the newest production has the baffles fitting snugly and there is also a leaflet with instructions so the questions of fastening them is now not an issue. Can't wait to get mine installed this week.
    First Time posting on this forum, kind of looks like he/she works for the company that makes them!?!?!

Glen

Your mistaken Glen... you can't copy it even for your own use.

Patent pending is actually fairly cheap. 300 if you file on your own, I just paid 3k for an attourney to do one. But Ace is 100% right, it has to work, and fit in the price window to be worth the grief.

Your mistaken Glen... you can't copy it even for your own use.

Patent pending is actually fairly cheap. 300 if you file on your own, I just paid 3k for an attourney to do one. But Ace is 100% right, it has to work, and fit in the price window to be worth the grief.
    Ok didn't know that. I was always told as long as it's for your own use it was ok, I've learned something new! Thanks.

Glen

Nope, any attempt to harm the original holder finaicail is illegal...... just like copywrites..... if no one knows well thats a different story.
    Right now the main goal for US guys is keeping some cheap china knockoff from ruining our investments.

How is this supposed to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzzzzz View Post
    How is this supposed to work?
    I assume that the small ledge that extends inside of the bottom board prevents the SHB from climbing up the side of the hive. My first thought was these bugs fly. I dont know.

I am scratching my head, looking at all the discussion about the patent rather than "does this hardware work?". My 2 cents is to spend energy keeping the bee density high enough to make the presence of SHB an afterthought rather than something to spend energy and $$.

Good point philip, but a pipe dream on density. I run over a 100 hives 95% have more bees than you can imagine, and just as many beetles as the smaller hives. only difference is they never get to hatch in a better hive.

Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    I am scratching my head, looking at all the discussion about the patent rather than "does this hardware work?". My 2 cents is to spend energy keeping the bee density high enough to make the presence of SHB an afterthought rather than something to spend energy and $$.
    That's a worthy goal, sir, and your number one defense, but SHB can be a raging nuisance to even the strongest hive. It's generally better to keep bees employed doing productive things instead of keeping SHB herded into corners, or killing SHB larvae, or removing SHB eggs, or collapsing altogether because you didn't realize that your hive lost a queen 3 weeks ago and now the numbers are too few to keep them in check. You can nurse a weak hive back to health, but you can't nurse a weak hive that has 3000 SHB larvae eating at it.
    Try it. What could happen?

Good point philip, but a pipe dream on density. I run over a 100 hives 95% have more bees than you can imagine, and just as many beetles as the smaller hives. only difference is they never get to hatch in a better hive.
    I am not sure what you are saying.

I would rather have NO hive beetles, but I am challenging the expenditure of time and energy of fighting them. That said, I am considering placing cd cases (no poison) for the beetles to flee. The modified cases are too narrow for the bees to enter. You remove the case every 1 to 2 weeks, and destroy the little devils.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast