Smile Newbee!!! Question about Lang to Warre transfer

Hi all....

Really glad to find this forum! I am a brand spanking new beekeeper (3 months). To make a long story short, I got a late start this year and probably should have waited until next spring to get my bees. I purchased a Warre hive and a Lang to Warre transfer box and was supposed to be getting a split from a friend with Langstroths in the spring, but the nuc he formed for me absconded the week before I was supposed to get them. Instead of waiting, I ended up ordering a nuc from a local bee supply and put the frames in the transfer box in late June. We have had a couple of resolved issues, but now the main issue is that they just will not start pulling comb in the Warre box. I went in the nuc today to look around (it's been about 3 weeks since I last did this). There is a fair amount of capped brood with a good pattern and LOTS of uncapped honey and nectar, but no capped honey at all. My concern is that it is now September. Since they are still not drawing comb in the Warre box, will they be OK in the transfer box overwinter?? Any suggestions? I am the only person around my area (at least that I've found so far) using a Warre hive, so any advice is GREATLY appreciated! From a couple of things I've already seen on here, it looks like the Warre hive starts much more successfully with a package or a swarm than trying to transfer from Lang to Warre. Thank you!!!

Default Re: Newbee!!! Question about Lang to Warre transfer

To do it the way you are planning, it is probably too late in the season now, you may have to look at getting them through the winter not in the Warre, or not fully in it anyway.

But could you post a pic of what they are in now? Then people will have a clear idea what you have and how you should proceed.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Sure...I'll go take one right now. Thanks!

This is one Warre box on the bottom..with it's normal screened bottom floor. Instead of having the normal quilt box and roof that a Warre has, the top rectangular part is the Langstroth to Warre transfer box, which is basically like a Nuc box with 5 deep frames. There is an opening in the bottom of it to allow the bees to move down to the Warre box and start pulling comb on the top bars. There are always bees crawling around on the top bars, but they have not begun pulling comb. lang to warre transfer box.jpg

Welcome Jen!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com