Default Bees starting comb on the far end of the hive

Back in August there were so many bees in my hive that I thought they might swarm. They had built comb out to the center point of the hive so I took out the divider board and opened up the whole hive to give them more room. For a few weeks they kept building in the center of the hive but this weekend it appears that a lot of them jumped to the far end and started building comb down there leaving a bunch of empty bars in between. Maybe they're just being optimistic. Has anyone ever seen this in a top bar hive?

Default Re: Bees starting comb on the far end of the hive

No, I haven't. Started a package this spring, had follower board placed at 12 bars from front (entrance end). 4 days later they had clustered in middle of those 12 and were pulling comb. At that point I moved follower board to the back and they have done great. 2 bars at front pollen & honey, 11 bars of brood comb and 9 bars of capped and uncapped honey with 2 empty barsat back that they didn't get too.

Unfortunately, I had to take my divider board out because of the small hive beetles. They could get underneath or around the divider and congregate behind it where the bees couldn't get to them. If the bees really are building comb on the last bar at the back they may attach it to the back of the hive. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

I have had the same problem on a few of my hives until I started something different. My TBH have entrances on one end, I learned that feral hives tend to start away from the entrance and build towards it, so I tried moving the brood combs to the rear and the bees in my hives are very consistent now in building the combs towards the entrance without skipping spaces. All my divider boards are in the scrap pile.