Default need help setting up a observation hive for a two day show

I have this hive here http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/U501/ I need help setting this up for a 2 day show next week. I have plenty of bees. can someone help me set it up? one question in WATER how can I provide water? do I need to for that 2 day show?? can I set this up without the queen in the observation hive?

Default Re: need help setting up a observation hive for a two day show

I made a medium version of the Ulster Observation Hive and I had kept the bees in it for three (or four) days. A frame feeder of syrup is normally placed in the bottom box with four frames of bees, brood and honey/pollen. I had misplaced my frame feeders so my enclosed bees had honey and open comb with nectar to feed on. If you don't have a frame feeder don't worry too much about it.

I want to make a nice cover for the top, but two pieces of cardboard and masking tape did the job.

If you're concerned about water you can dribble some onto the top vents, but if you keep the Ulster hive out of the direct sun I don't think you'll have a problem.

I used newspaper when I reunited the bees to their original hive, checking for queen cells beforehand...

I would want to have the queen on display or else a frame of emerging brood.

Last edited by BeeCurious; 09-09-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Added photo
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I recently worked several sessions at our local beekeepers club booth at the county fair. We had an observation hive there, and it was easily the key attractant to get people to stop and talk. Having a clearly marked queen in the hive is an important part of having a conversation with folks that don't deal with bees on a regular basis.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Don't like to admit it really, but I have had bees in an observation hive for two weeks.

I do provide water. Have router-ed a bit of a well in the bottom of the hive near the end and put a sponge in it.

When I re-unite the bees, I spray sugar water with vanilla essence in it on the ob hive bees and the receiving bees. Works OK.

Cheers
    Geoff

The trick to these is how many bees are in there. Too many, and they can overheat and die. I have a custom built observation hive of my own design. It holds 3 deeps, and 3 mediums. It's up year round at my house, but I can lift it off the wall (with some difficulty) and carry it off for a presentation. The top has an integrated miller feeder.

Took it to the State Fair of Virginia last year, and picked it up on day 3. Unfortunatlely, it was smelling a bit ripe by then and the bees dwindled to nothing 2 weeks later.

Keeping it cool is the most important thing. I closed them up at night, and so the full contingecy of bees were in there and the workers were going nuts to get outside. I think I would have been better off to stop it up in the middle of the day while the workers were out in the field. There would have been less frenetic activity inside the hive.

We set up the same Brushy Mt hive for the County Fair in August. The bees were closed up inside for 3 days. It was hot weather and there was no A/C in the building.

In the bottom part we put in two frame feeders; one with water and one half full with sugar syrup. Also in the bottom were two frames full of brood, nectar/honey and pollen.

In the top we had a frame also with brood, honey and pollen. There were tons of bees on all three frames.

I decided to NOT put the queen in the hive. (She stayed in the regular Lang hive that we took the frames from). My reasoning for that was that I didn't want to stress the queen by having her stuck on only one frame for 3 days, not to mention having her exposed to light all that time. With the built in queen excluder, she wouldn't have had the option to go to the bottom part where it's dark.

With plenty of food, water, and the screened bottom opened, the bees kept the hive cool and did excellently for the whole 3 days.

I know people always want to "find the queen", but NOT having her in the hive actually was a bigger draw! People spent a lot more time looking through the window trying to find her. They would come to me and say, 'Can you help me? I can't see the queen!" I told them, 'Good job! You can't find her because she isn't in there!' Then, after explaining why she wasn't in there, it was an opportunity to answer a lot of other questions people may not have otherwise asked.

Good luck with the hive at the show! The Ulster is a great hive for that!

Thank you all