Hybrid View

Default Help With Creamed Honey

I am in the process of creating creamed honey. I have read the directions but have a question. Has anyone made it with colder temperatures? Like 35 degrees? Does it hurt it to use colder temperatures? Thank you for your replys.

Default Re: Help With Creamed Honey

It will work but take much longer; 57 degrees is the preferred temp. You might use the cool side of the house closet floor, basement, bottom of food pantry, etc. to get to the better temp range.
    Ed

Nothing much will happen at 35. It will be glacially slow. I bet you have a concrete floor in a utility room like by a water heater that will be out of the way and close to the optimum. Ground temp is around 55

Thanks for the replies. I will find another sutable spot to put it. I thought that cooler would be better.

57 degrees is not just the prefered temperature it is the OPTIMUM temperature at which honey will form the crystals that you want when making creamed honey. It's something to do w/ the physical characteristics of honey. Anything above or below will retard the process. It doesn't hurt it, it just slows the process down.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

try a small batch perhaps. I was told by a science teacher that the temp can influence the crystal size- though at the moment I forget the results of too cold or too hot. Start with a good seed culture, inoculate at least 10%, mix very well.
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!