Question Treat with winter-stores super on?

I did my mite counts today, and unfortunately I have to treat. Unfortunately, the drone comb did not seem to do the trick.

I know that supers are not supposed to be on while the treatment is in progress, but can you have a super in place that's intended for consumption by the bees in the Winter? I need to feed a little bit, but by the time the treatment course is done it'll be the third week in October, and the bees will likely not take much feed.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Default Re: Treat with winter-stores super on?

depends on what you treat with. Some formulations must be removed to prevent trailing off weak amounts to lead to drug resistance in the mites. Mechanical treatments like formic acid, oxalic acid either drench or vaporization can be used for honey that will be winter feed without contributing to resistance. Both items are normal constituents in honey and any temporary increase will fall to background levels. I think some preparations of Formic acid are now stating they can be used even with human consumption honey supers on but I dont think that is commonly held acceptable yet.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    depends on what you treat with.
    ApiVar. No honey supers during treatment, and you have to wait 14 days after treatment before putting any on. After some thought, I'd say that's a "no".
    Last edited by Splatt; 09-06-2013 at 08:49 PM.

So what can you do with the supers during treatment with APIVAR? I was going to treat mine also but all have a supers on.

If it's honey the bees are going to eat, I'd do it. Their going to be eating the honey they have in their hive anyhow. I'd also expect the queen to move up into the supper this winter so come spring you could flip that box and use it for a hive body or maybe let it air out a bit if you really concerned with residue in the wax contaminating the honey later.

What ever you do...Treat your bees. This year I didn't treat one of my stronger hives because I wanted honey from and sadly it's almost dead from the mites.

Good luck.

Here is a link that lays out some guidance: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...MedSummary.asp

Hop-Guard treatments is another one that can be used with the supers on, but the debate is whether you can "sell" the honey vs. self use..

Here is a link to the info: http://www.mannlakeltd.com/hopguard/

I have at least one hive that is got mites and will put this on them this weekend.....I have supers on the hive and if thye are full, will likely just pull them (90 % of frames a week ago).

I put the meds in this morning, and when I pulled the supers off you could hear my scream of frustration a mile away. Both were at 80%. Another week and I'd have been able to harvest. It'll all work out, though, because I can feed while the meds are in (if necessary), then when done put a super on each hive and they'll be more than ready for Winter.