Thread: Honey supers...

Default Honey supers...

Just wondering on average how many shallow supers or whatever size supers you use for surplus honey do you get off your hives? Thought it would be nice to see what average is in other areas.

Default Re: Honey supers...

Average here is about three shallows or 60 lbs. Don't know about my brother's hive, but one of mine has a super and a half capped at the moment, and will likely have much more stashed away in a couple weeks. We got 50 lbs of my brother's last year after a slow start (they overwintered as a single deep).

With some work, especially moving hives to locations with high nectar flows, it's possible to get 200 lbs per hive here according to the beek who lives about 3 miles from me. He no longer moves hives, but has done so in the past.

Peter

Im wanting to say I read somewhere that here in NC its 47 lbs average per hive. It was something like that. I use mediums which one of those full is about 40 pounds and usually get one to one and a half per hive. The best I have ever done was two mediums on one hive. Thats when they dont swarm. Never have had a problem with swarming until this year. 5 of my hives swarmed so no honey from them. Hey there's always next year. Now if there is sourwood in your area then you could have a second flow. Doubling you totals. That flow starts in the end of June. Good luck Dave

We averaged 61 pounds per hive. We were running 64 hives. We were running new boxes of foundation from the second brood chamber up. All honey supers were foundation. If we didn't have to draw so much comb, I'm sure our average would have been higher. This while in a drought. The state average for Wisconsin was 70 pounds per hive a couple years ago.

Wisnewbee
    Honey Luv Farm

We've been averaging 4 to 5 medium suppers per hive in South Louisiana. Mostly from the Chinese Tallow.

the stronger of my 2 hives is capping honey like crazy ( sugar syrup feed and goldenrod flow). My weak hive is not so productive. Should I donate some capped honey frames from the stronger hive for the weaker hive to get them thru the winter? My weak hive has one brood chamber full of bees and 2nd brood box mostly capped honey cells mostly from sugar syrup? I am a first year newbie living in a very cold winter climate. (0-10 F at times).