Hybrid View

Default No brood in hive

This hive consists of a single deep with 3 shallow supers. I went through most of it today and found zero brood except for a few capped drone cells. The drone cells are in a good pattern and are full sized cells, not the worker sized drone cells that laying workers lay. Also, the bees are tearing down the drone cells and dragging the pupa outside the hive. There are also dead drones laying about outside the hive. There is plenty of honey and pollen in the three shallows and the deep is mostly empty except for nectar being back-filled in some frames. The bees are quiet and non-aggressive. There are lots of bees in the hive. I looked for the queen but didn't see her but that really isn't unusual for me. I know that there is a slow down on laying this time of year but I was surprised to find no brood at all. Do you think I am queenless?

Default Re: No brood in hive

Probably not I'm in north GA, they have shutdown pretty hard....are your supers filled? are you any good a seeing the queen if she's not marked dig in see if you can find her.

One super filled and the other two partially filled but little in those two is capped. The drone brood is scattered throughout these three supers. Suppose you are right--I will just have to look harder. I am always afraid of accidentally mashing her this late in the year. I may just wait a week and see if there are eggs. Thanks,
    Joe

Like Luke mentioned, our bees typically slow down brood production around this time of year. This year has been an exception. If they are quiet and calm, then the queen is probably in the hive.

Shane

I would watch this hive, If the queen has simply taken a break in laying. and the workers are removing drone brood. think of the implications! We all know the hive severely reduces drone for wintering. But doing so with such fervor while the queen takes a break. could be one of the best hygienic mite control behaviors going. If a strain can be developed that annually dose so It would be huge

I think your approach was better than most of your advice. If they opted to supersede and the residual drone brood is all the brood that is left, they could be three weeks into the supersedure process. That means you should see eggs in a week or two.

At this time in TN, colonies are normally into the fall buildup, but early in the game. So, it's not likely that its a case of queen shut-down. If superseding, they have plenty of time to get it done.

Walt