Default Do your bees die in your fountains

I have a fountain where the bees drink all day long but when the sun starts going down they don't seem to leave and go home in time. I find dead bees on the rocks I have provided and ones drowning. I have many hives and many bees but would still like to make this less fatal for some of them. I wonder if some are just old and at the end of their time or what the story is...obviously many more drink all day long coming and going with no problem. Do your bees get caught at the end of the day and end up not leaving your fountains in time? Our temps do drop quickly when the sun falls behind the hill and heads down...

Default Re: Do your bees die in your fountains

mine is covered with corks and duckweed.

I forgot a plastic pan at the hives on the ground, I was going to use it in the no drown top feeder, but didn't. Anyways it go full of rain water. I went out today and found about 50 dead bees in the pan of 1/2 inch water. Three feet away there is a bird bath with rocks in it and only one dead bee.

Glen
    You Tube bee Channel Zone 5A
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenGH

I use an old bird bath tilted just a little. The sides are sloped and textured and as the water evaporates, the bees have a nice "beach" to drink from. Also, leaves have been falling into the bath and I just leave them there. They make an excellent life preserver for them when they get in trouble. I have to fill it everyday, but it's really not a big deal.

The water plants work great. Just rocks for shallow waters

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    mine is covered with corks and duckweed.
    Dan

Is water temp cooling off fast???????

Bee full of too cold water may not be getting airborne.

I use abird bath that is in full sun and have no drowning problems. I have tried a 5 gallon bucket with a wood float and sponge float and wasn't in full sun all day. A few bees were dying when they came for water. Think the water was too cold.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I find some sometimes if night time temps. are low but hardly any thing to worry about.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

I have a patio fountain...4x6x2' it has fish and water plants...so far no bee issues. They land,drink and leave.

We have bird baths and a running fountain and hardly ever see a bee in them. It might depend on your annual rainfall.
    Oh, I should also mention the chicken feeders, no bees there either.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

The bees use the water fall in the water garden. They like to land on the rocks at the top of the falls to get their fill. They also like my neighbour's pool sometimes too

Glen
    You Tube bee Channel Zone 5A
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenGH

I have a bucket with grape vines sticking out. The bees use the vines to access the water. I'm feeding sugar water in 1 gallon poultry waterers right now. I use lengths of cheesecloth in the trough to prevent drowning.

I've got a garden fountain as well and it stays full of water. I don't even have any life boats in it It's moving water though and I don't hardly see any bees hanging around it even though it's only 20' from the hives. I also have a small 35' diameter pond and that's where the girls go to drink and do whatever it is that they do. There are dozens skimming the surface and hanging out on the mud banks every day. No plants in it either. I see dead bees in the mud and on the sides all the time but they are all very dark bees and presumably old. Not a lot, but you can see them. Depending on what you have lying around the yard I'd bet the dead bees chose that spot to retire, unless it happens all the time in the same proportions. I've got animal pens with open water, air conditioner condensate that I catch in small buckets for the dogs, ponds and small depressions that hold water from the rain and I've never found dead bees in and around these various water sources except the banks of my small pond. Unless your fountain is the absolute only close source of water I doubt it's a death trap for the bees. Caution is always best, though so putting some floaters in the fountain, better yet - duckweed - just to be safe. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Ken

I think mgolden hit it with the water cooling off fast. I have rocks leading up and out of the water and during the day no problem.. they seem to get 'stuck' when the sun starts going down. I have another source that refills each day but not a running fountain, no issues there at all.

I have a soaker hose I let trickle on the fruit tree row. I never shut it off and the bees are always on it during the daylight hours. It has worked well for me, better than all other water sources I have offered. They prefer to suck the moisture out of the wet soil to get the mineral benefit, I think.