Default Colony abandoned comb

So checked out these 3 wild hives the land owner wants gone. Two are in trees, likely going to just cut the tree and split the truck. Chinaberry tree and a hackberry tree. First will be easy. Second one is about 25 feet up and might be a mess when it hits the ground.

But the third hive was under their trailer. Checked on it and there is comb about 15 to 20 inches wide and about 15 inched tall. Appeared to be about 5 to 7 sheets of it. The bees were there since late last winter. The comb is dark and well used. There is no honey visible, no pollen, no larvae, eggs, or pupae I could see, and only about 100 bees. I saw no sign of hive beetles, wax looked fine, no sign of wax worms, only a cockroach was out of line. The bees didn't even come off the hive when I pulled off the trailer skirting.

So when I take the first hive would it be ok to combine the bees from the second hive. Or am I risking diseases (they are about 150 feet apart).

I am going to just pull down the old comb under the trailer. Would it be ok to use this as foundation, put it in frames, freeze it to kill any eggs, and use this as comb to put in a hive. Was thinking of doing that then pulling it once it is attached to the frame and use it for swarm traps.

Ok, so that is this greenhorn's ideas, how about some of ya'll with experience to chime in.

Default Re: Colony abandoned comb

All your ideas sound very feasible to me just be careful under that trailer the little devils crawl and can get in your clothes easy when you are on the ground and they will object strongly if you roll over on them
    Good Luck, Mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

The bees under the trailer likely swarmed and the parent colony failed to make a new queen and they are queenless. Likely, just enough bees to protect the comb from small hive beetles and wax worms.

Combining one and two should be O.K. Using comb and 100 bees from three is problematic.. If you know they had not been sprayed you could but, I guess i would use them for swarm traps.

cchoganjr

Mike and Cleo - thanks for the advice.

Cleo - They have not sprayed them, so I guess they failed with a new queen. The land owner said they did get really aggressive about 6 to 8 weeks ago. Maybe that was when they were trying to make a queen.

Loading the gear up tomorrow so I have it available to hit his place after work one afternoon.

Thanks again guys.

With the trailer colony, if there is no queen, I would say just render out the wax and be done with it.

With the trees, can you cut out off the sections with bees and lower the suction to the ground upright? If so, I would say cut off above the colony and use heavy plywood and lag bolts to close the hole at the top (after cutting off the branch/trunk above). Make sure that piece of plywood is AT LEAST as big a hive body. The tie it off to a higher branch or whatever may be available and cut it from the bottom. Then use another piece of plywood to close the bottom and set it on the ground. After dark, screen off the entrance and transport.

At the new location (your apiary) let them bee for a day or two (or even over the winter) then drill a hole in the top and set a deep hive body on top with drawn comb.They should eventually move up. When the queen is up there and laying, remove them from the gum.

I don't know that that is THE way to do it but it is what I would try.

-james