Hybrid View

Default What is the best beesuit on the market for preventing bee stings?

OK, that's it. No more cheap poly/cotton bee suits for me. I went to pull fall honey from my 4 hives and the first 3 were quite peaceful after getting smoked. However, the 4th one, which is my most rowdiest one, nailed me at least 50 times through the poly/cotton suit I bought because I'm a new beek and it was cheap. Not anymore. It's time to whip out the big bucks on a quality suit.

Any thoughts from personal experience as to what the best beesuits that are on the market today that can handle aggressive hives and, at the same time, are cooler that the cheap ones? I know there are some good ones out there, but I would much rather receive personal recommendations from experienced beekeepers than reading vendor promo ads.
    Started beekeeping in 2013 and having a blast with my 9 small cell hives!!

Default Re: What is the best beesuit on the market for preventing bee stings?

I wear jeans and std Walter Kelley cotton upper with zippered vail and their standard gloves. Never been stung thru the suit. However I've had one sting come thru the glove, just the tip, a little poke. I think some people are more prown to attack then others. My buddy seems to real up the bees much more than i do when working a hive.

The suit cotton suit does get hot....i usually wear a polyester shirt underneath and a veneted hat makes a huge difference.

Buy a vented full suit. I use the Mann Lake, but pick the price and brand you like.

Thanks for the input so far, but I need a suit they may not be sting-proof, but one that the vendor at least acknowledges they are attempting to minimize the stings. None of the suits on sale at the major bee supply companies (ML, Rossman, BM, WK, etc state that from what I've found so far.

A local beekeeper friend of mine said to check out the suits at Golden Bee Products in Louisiana. Has anyone had experiece with their suits? They look much more like what I'm looking for. I don't mind paying the price if they work as well as they say they do - http://www.goldenbeeproducts.com/suit.html

My first suit is from http://www.jawadis.us/ that I got on E-Bay with hood & gloves $50. Works great even on cut-outs, but it is warm.

So I mostly use a 'Man Lake' http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...y/page127.html vented jacket that they closed out for $60.

Make sure you ware loose pants with tight cuffs (tape or Velcro straps) if you use a jacket cuz they like to crawl up!!

your Golden suit looks clunky.

My wife has NEVER been stung through her suit while I am working the bees ........ she stays in the house. HaHa .... sorry.

Why do we have to answer this ? Once mouth

Love my premium bee suit with hat and veil from Betterbee!

I have never been stung through the suit I got from Brushy Mountain Bee Farm, and I have had some wild and crazed bees all over it.
    No one famous.

Thanks again for all the great recommendations!

BW: Which particular suit was that you got from BM?

I ordered the XL Ultra Breeze beesuit from their website on Monday and got it delivery today.Great delivery service if I do say so myself. Of course I had to revisit my kamakaze hive to get those remaining supers I left and not one sting this time!! I love this suit already. For reference, I'm 5'10", weigh 228 lbs and their XL fits great!!

$163 wowsers, the jacket looks nice though

Anyone know a cheaper source?

The only other place I saw you could by an authentic Ultra Breeze suit or jacket was through Sears and their prices were crazy. You can get it through Amazon, but it was at the same price. BUT, IMHO, they are well worth the money if you want a quality suit.