Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: A blast from the past.

I keep a few hives with small cell foundation (4.9). I cant say they are immune to varroa, but the bees seems to be a bit more healthy and hygienic when they are on 4.9 cell foundations. They seem to be a bit more active inside the hive than the large cell bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Tim Ives, does not use small cell. He thinks it's about sugar.
    I thought he was the guy who said that tall hives fixed his varroa....or was that someone else?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Yes, sorry. Hives taken through winter in 3 boxes with plenty honey, stacked high in summer, and no sugar.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Would this be wax foundation? I never did have good luck with the wax. Used the plastic this year and what a difference. Not a bit of trouble and these are package bees, not any kind of regressed bee.
    Yeah, I've used the plastic since day 1. Not claiming any benefits from it but even package bees seem to draw it out at about 5.0, no problem. Purchased queens do take a long time to get going, though.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Well I have most my hives with 4.9 plastic and will have all by next year .
    It don't really matter because when I bought them I got 500 just for the brood boxes and it's what I have.
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...productInfo/5/
    I like 5.1s wood with plastic for extracting the 4.9s did not work well flimsy .
    I still have mites and I most say more then I like but I am OAV everything and its working but i'm only 4 years in to this and I well see what sm. cell does in the next few years.
    I may set up a hive next year and use lg. cell and see what differences there are.
    Now the sugar thing now that's some thing to read up on . I have not feed any of my big hives this year just my nucs and that was just 3 out of 13 so not much sugar Varroa is the worst I have had to deal with so far.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm not saying it didn't work for him, it may well have. I'm just saying it didn't work for me, that's all.
    Now that is a completely different statement. Now go back to your other statement about what the beekeeper does or doesn't do. I agree with that one too.

Roland, would you change your whole mode of operation if you felt you were successful with what you are doing?

Neither would I.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    My problem with PF 120s is still ladder comb. It's annoying.
    I get no more ladder comb with the PF's than I do with wood. However, I do get some brace comb (joining the PF with the PF or wood beside it) from time to time until it is drawn out properly. I simply tear it off when I find it and let the bees try again until it is straight. It usually does not take long. -james

What is ladder comb?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

>My problem with PF 120s is still ladder comb. It's annoying.

You'll get the same with Pierco, and HSC, and PermaComb and any other plastic frame... I'm just used to it. If you expect it it's not so annoying...

>4.9mm is the cell size for AHB stock.

I've measured a lot of AHB comb. It's more like 4.4mm...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I like 4.9 because it more closely matches the size of our local ferals.

When I pick up a swarm of large bees I know they have come from somebodies hive.

Don

My first year I did four hives. As an experiment I did two with 100% full foundation all 4.9mm and two with foundationless, starter strip only, also 4.9mm. Now granted I was, still am, largely clueless, I could not discern any difference with any of the hives. Bad drawn comb, cross comb, laying, brood pattern was very similar across all four hives. I did have one hive that had a problem but ended up requeening that one and no problems. I did not see any with delayed laying or drawing.

I did do mite checks and didn't really see much of a difference there either. Again however I was largely clueless so very likely could have missed what may be "Major" differences that others would have seen.

Since then I've been simply supplying a starter strip of whatever size I can get cheapest to all my hives. I just figured why buy all that foundation when they don't seem to mind making it themselves :-)

Then again maybe I'm killing my bees.

~Matt

I don't consider myself to be a small cell proponent per say, because I use natural cell in the form of foundationless. I don't know if the smaller cells cure varroa. I don't know if the smaller cells are making my bees walk on water. All I know if that foundationless frames, bees bred from local stock, with the occasional new genetics thrown in and then allowed to raise queens that mate locally I DON'T lose hives to varroa or much of anything. I lost 2 nucs this last winter and they were pitiful going into winter and should have been combined, but I was being hard headed and trying to get 2 more queens thru the winter. Other than that no real issues. It baffles me to hear of people losing their hives all the time and the troubles they have with varroa because I don't treat (last treatment was oxalic acid vaporization 2 years ago, and maybe 3 years prior to that the same). Basically I let the bees deal with the varroa on their own. If I do see DWV showing up then I will hit with 3 treatments of OAV a week apart, but as I said that was 2 years ago and then once again 3 or 4 years prior to that. Oh yeah and I don't have to pay for foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by D Semple View Post
    I like 4.9 because it more closely matches the size of our local ferals.

When I pick up a swarm of large bees I know they have come from somebodies hive.

Don
    I suspect the same here is Upper East Tennessee, but have no scientific proof to back it up - just casual observation. james