Hybrid View

Default A blast from the past.

Ok….not trolling….not weaseling…..it just caught my eye.
    I pulled some supers yesterday and while extracting today came across this frame (second from the right). A remnant of an experiment a number of years ago.

Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: A blast from the past.

I think the only comment I would want to make is that sometimes we get painted with the 'stuck in the old ways' brush....and it isn't always true. I ran a handful of small cell hives some years ago. Oldtimer....another conventional beekeeper just finished a small cell trial....
    and I'm sure there are others.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

20 colonies on 4.9 for 3 years. P.T. Barnum's statement, "There is a sucker born every minute," well I guess it was my minute.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    20 colonies on 4.9 for 3 years. P.T. Barnum's statement, "There is a sucker born every minute," well I guess it was my minute.
    If you're in it for three years...and everyone looks good........

I was in it for three years and it was a pain in the you know where. Nothing about regressing was as easy as it was described and the 20 colonies in the same yard that was on standard Pierco plastic was as healthy, had fewer varroa, and the overwintering losses was the same in both groups. At the end of the 3 years I phased out the small cell because introducing new queens was a problem. The new queens would take 3 weeks or more to start laying, they did not like the 4.9 at all.

I am glad I did the small cell thing, it gave me a chance to prove to my satisfaction that it failed to produce what it was reported to do. My purpose in keeping bees is for the pleasure of keeping bees, so I was only out the expense of the foundation. At the time I had several yards and enough bees so that any losses would not endanger my hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    I was in it for three years and it was a pain in the you know where. Nothing about regressing was as easy as it was described and the 20 colonies in the same yard that was on standard Pierco plastic was as healthy, had fewer varroa, and the overwintering losses was the same in both groups. At the end of the 3 years I phased out the small cell because introducing new queens was a problem. The new queens would take 3 weeks or more to start laying, they did not like the 4.9 at all.

I am glad I did the small cell thing, it gave me a chance to prove to my satisfaction that it failed to produce what it was reported to do. My purpose in keeping bees is for the pleasure of keeping bees, so I was only out the expense of the foundation. At the time I had several yards and enough bees so that any losses would not endanger my hobby.
    So your saying 4.9 don't keep the mite counts low?
    I been getting all my brood boxes on 4.9 but there mixed with 5.1s right now but most on 4.9 and I have mites so I don't know about this sm. cell thing helping with VARROA. I didn't have any problem with making queens on sm. cell but they seem to draw out 5.1 much better . I use 5.1 for my honey supers {I use all deeps}.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}