Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I had to destroy a hive today...

...the small hive beetles were more than they could handle.

This was the "weaker hive" that I had mentioned in previous posts. They were queen-right, but for some reason the queen didn't want to lay. I kept propping them up with resources from my strong hive, thinking things would stabilize...but they didn't. Lesson learned. I should have re-queened long ago. I shook out what few bees remained, cut out all the comb and disposed of it, and I'll be soaking all the hive parts in a mild bleach solution to kill the beetles, eggs and larvae that remain.

But the point is not what might have been...it's what do I do know. And to that end I have two questions for you all:
    1. Is there something I can/should use to treat the ground where that hive once stood? I know that SHB pupate in the earth and I don't want this mass of beetles emerging from the ground and the moving into my strong hive.
    2. Can I split from my strong hive this late in the year? We do get a fall flow here (although not like the spring flow) and I could always feed them if necessary. The strong hive is doing really well, and I think they could afford to give up a couple of frames to start a new colony. Or would I be better off to get through winter with my one strong colony and split in the spring?

Thanks very much for your input. I'm down...but not out.

Brian
    Hobby Beekeeper - Second Year - Two Hives

Default Re: I had to destroy a hive today...

Well you could try a split... pretty unlikely it will produce a vital queen, at best they will supersede her in the spring. What is the condition of the brood in your strong hive? You could try just one frame of brood (eggs > capped) and enough bees to cover and feed them. Also include pollen/bee bread and capped honey. You could try just 4 frames and see if it takes. You are running out of time in concerns with drone vitality, but worst case scenario is you just add those frames back to your strong hive.

I have never had hive beetles, so can't help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel-Rah View Post
    What's your address, will send some! Lucky you!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I would try to get the strong hive through the winter and split them in the spring.

Or , if you want some honey next year , and to be on the safe side , order a nuc or package now , and re-populate the failed hive next year , then you should have at least one producing hive next year.

If you only have the one other hive and it dies over winter , you will be down AND out next year.

I don't have hive beetles in my area , so can't help there.

This is my first year, so probably can't be much help. but you're just down the road from me, so just an observations that might be useful:

There are still plenty of drones in my hives, so you might be able to make a successful split. I started one just a few days ago because the bees decided to supercede my BeeWeaver queen and made cells on two frames, so I took one and made a new nuc from it plus some resources from my best hive.

I spent a fair amount of money on bees last spring, and hope to avoid that next spring.

For what it's worth my bee master says to cover the ground under the hive with plastic. His theory is that the pupa will either be trapped above or below the plastic.

Same here thank heavens just one less thing to deal with
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

Transplant a fire ant nest into that spot?

If I was going to start a nuc to raise its own queen I would make it as strong as I could spare. It's getting late here but you could probably pull it off where you are. I would wait till spring myself.
    We have beetles here and a couple years back I lost a couple hives to them. Desperate I bought an IPK trap from Green bee hives. It worked so well I now have them on all my hives.
    Weak or strong, sun or shade, I haven't seen a live beetle this year in any hive I have these on.
    Shipping is rough but cheapens down when you buy more than one. Woody

You could try Diatomaceous Earth.
    It can be sprinkled on the ground around the hive and placed on a tray under a screened bottom board. It is vary sharp like miniature razor blades and cuts up the larvae. You need to make sure you get the correct kind that is meant for this purpose. There is different coarseness of it.
    This will help to kill the larvae that fall to the ground or thru the SBB. But it won't help in killing the larvae that the bee drag out of the hive and carry away 50-100.

Here is some info on the use of diatomaceous earth. http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...eous-earth.pdf

Glen

Guardstar to treat the ground, nukes the grubs.

I've been told to use hydrated lime under the hives about 6 foot diameter. I don't know a rate of application. I bought a few bags but have not put it out yet.
    Jeff

A friend of mine who has been keeping bees a long time uses salt to suppress weeds under his hives and says he never sees hive beetles at all. Cause and effect? I don't know.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

If you know someone that could lend you a couple of chickens you can make a small pen around the apiary and let them tear up the soil and pick them off.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Find someone local to get info from, I bet you can split in Pensicola FL right now. I know you can still buy queens.
    The Brazilian Pepper tree bloom should be starting in you're area.
    Dan

Thanks for the input everyone.

I've treated the ground where the hive used to be with food grade DE, because it was something I could lay hands on quickly. I'm in the process of cleaning up the equipment and getting it ready to go back into service. I want to make sure that there are no traces left of SHB or other pests, so everything is getting it's turn in the freezer. Then my plan is to attempt a split this fall. My strong hive is doing REALLY well, so I think it can stand to give up a few frames. And on top of that, I'm going to order another nuc for spring. I was planning to split to three hives in the spring of '14 anyway. By ordering a nuc, I'll have all my bases covered.

Again, thanks for your help. I'm jealous of those of you who don't have to deal with SHB.

Brian
    Hobby Beekeeper - Second Year - Two Hives

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    If you know someone that could lend you a couple of chickens you can make a small pen around the apiary and let them tear up the soil and pick them off.
    I've always wanted to keep chickens around my bee yards and this year I transitioned the chick/pullets around the bees (proximity to the house and predator protection) and it was nice. The mature laying hens are far away from the bee yard. Other beekeepers I've mentioned this to, thought it was a bad idea, but didn't tell me why...

Chickens will eat your bees.

My chickens eat every bug they see , bees included.

Sure, that was the assumption on my part. But didn't seem to be a problem with the young pullets this year. The hives were a little far off the ground maybe. I guess you could rotate the chickens through at times of the year when there isn't a lot of activity in front of the hives...?

Also, I have seen people using weeder geese for grasses and such, they're vegetarian...

they're vegetarian...
    Yep , until they get a taste of your bees.

Ask me how I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast