Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default no capped honey in either tbh. we are in trouble

I have 2 first year hives and live in south east pennsylvania. I fed early on and just recently with sugar water. the bees took the water well. the hives expanded well with both having about 25-30 bars of comb. we are into september and its getting cooler here. it was 46 this morning. i just opened both hives and have no capped honey. i found the queen in one hive but both had a lot of capped brood. one odd thing is they seemed to have a lot of raised cap brood i guessing drone brood. why would they have a lot of drone brood now? the summer is over what should i do? i was thinking of making a huge fondant block in the shape of the hive body and maybe mount it to a follower board. when it gets cold open the hive take out a few bars and place the fondant feeder in and hope for the best. any thoughts?
    thanks
    dave

Default Re: no capped honey in either tbh. we are in trouble

I just remembered i did find both queens the one queen was on brood comb and the other queen was in the front of the hive walking around on a comb with uncapped honey in it. why would she be there?

My first year top-bar had almost no stores 3 weeks ago the adjacent Langsroth hives had some but not a lot.
    I guess they used all their resources making comb and bees. I fed them by putting a Boardman feeder inside the hive(it was slightly raised w 2 1/2 inch strips of wood after i saw beetles hiding under the feeder). 2 weeks of that and it looked much better.

I am in a similar spot with one of my top are hives I plan to feed sugar in a 2 to 1 ratio until it gets too cold this fall.

Maybe the bees don't have capped honey yet. How many capped honey combs do you have ?? maybe they will rapidly make and cap the next month ?? I'm thinking of putting bottom boards on with the cooler nights. this may help regulate temps within the hive and ease up the workload of making heat for the hive.

Coffeedad - I'm right near you. I started feeding heavily. I have a HUGE party bowl, like a huge chip bowl. I fill it to the top with 2:1 and the bees have been guzzling it down quickly. There are tons of sticks floating in the top. After 2 bowls full of sugar water, they have built out some new comb and there's of syrup drying out. I also have a comb of drone brood. This morning I saw all the drones on the bottom of the hive floor. I can't find any info about it.... Wondering if it's the beginning of eviction or a swarm??

I'm going to start feeding again today. i made up some sugar water this morning and its cooled down now. I hope they put it to good use. down to the hive i go. I bought some poultry feeders at tractor supply they work great. I float a few pine bark pieces in the trough to keep the drowning to a minimum.

Not sure where you buy sugar, but Costco has it for less than $20 for 50 lbs. So much cheaper than 5 lb bags at Giant. I hear Aldi is cheap too, but the bags are smaller.

Coffeedad are you using poultry waters ?
    be careful of the hole that lets the water out, I tried it and used pea gravel to completely cover and fill the bottom of the bowl.
    it worked great a couple of times, then I found they had pushed most of the rocks out.
    2 inches of dead bees in a quart jar is not a happy sight.

I had a similar problem with hungry bees inside the container when i would go to fill them. i had some screen door material so i hot glued it to the hole. this solved the problem.

Coffeedad,

I'm in southern Ohio and have the same issue regarding a lack of honey stores in our two TBHs, also first year. According to a newsletter from the local association we belong to it seems that most everyone is seeing a lack of honey stores at this time.

Regards,
    Tom

I'm in SE PA also and I have very little capped honey. However Goldrenrod flow is still going here and the hives are packed with nectar with several bars looking close to getting capped.

I'll check the hives after the Goldenrod flow ends and see if I need to feed them at that point. The nights may be getting cooler, but many of the days are still 90F.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeedad View Post
    I had a similar problem with hungry bees inside the container when i would go to fill them. i had some screen door material so i hot glued it to the hole. this solved the problem.
    yip I use plastic cross stitch material that I hot glued over the hole, I also cut out some in a donut shape to fit in the trough, it floats on the syrup and you can feed a crap ton of bees in a short amount of time, I one gal water trough will last 20-30 min after they get used to going to it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by chr157y View Post
    Not sure where you buy sugar, but Costco has it for less than $20 for 50 lbs. So much cheaper than 5 lb bags at Giant. I hear Aldi is cheap too, but the bags are smaller.
    Ruler foods 4 lb bags $0.79 / bag

I am also in a capped honey shortage. My bees struggled early this season with losing a queen, so I think that put them behind. They have been doing great the last two months, but I'm worried about how to feed them through the winter. I have been giving them sugar water 2:1, as well as half of a pollen patty. They were throwing out brood and they only thing I came up with was a food shortage. I haven't seen it since I feed them the patty.

I've read that giving them honey in a shortage is good??? What do you guys think?
    Brittany (MI beek)

Honey is ok is you know where it came from. i would worry about contaminants. I'm going to frame out a follower board and pour a fondant block for each end of the hive insulate well and hope for the best.
    dave

I am definitely going to be doing fondant boards... I never occurred to me to do it on each end of hive. Great idea! When do you think they should be put in the hive? The bees might, and I mean MIGHT have two top bars with honey as of now.

Do you have a recipe for fondant that I can use or a link to one? I've read where people have had them turn to mush and I don't know if this is the recipe or just the timing of when they were placed in hive. Thanks!
    Brittany (MI beek)

Hopefully someone knowing more than me might chime in as i'm a first year beek. i'm going to make fondant from http://www.bamboohollow.com/fondant-recipe.php i'm going to increase temps a little to make fondant harder and add bee-pro to the mix. I've read about it melting to a goo and hope that maybe that happens more with langs but i'm not sure. another idea i had was to cut a slit the length of a top bar that a bee could get through and place a fondant block above the bars (in the attic) in a container. this might move the bees from the comb and away from brood. i need to read more about it and visit a top bar aviary.

Wonderful! Thank you!
    Brittany (MI beek)

I am anew beek..is there an issue with uncapped honey? Can't they eat uncapped honey or cap it if they feel it is of a desirable moisture content to do so?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06