Thread: feeding

Default feeding

I am a new beekeeper in Kentucky. I was putting in a gallon bag feeder and the opening of the bag opened and a bunch of the syrup poured in the hive, i was able to quickly close it and continue getting it set up. Have I drown my bees or hurt them?

Nan

Default Re: feeding

You may have killed a few. The bigger concern is robbing from other hives with the sugar syrup likely on the bottom board. Depending on the amount spilled, it may take them a while to clean it up. If you notice robbing, reduce the entrance so it is easier for the guard bees to keep the robbers out.

They'll clean it up pretty quite or nearby robbers will come aknocking!

Our fall flow just started in KY. Golden will be in full bloom soon, so they may not take much syrup unless their weak, or its been dry and no forage nearby. My week hives took some syrup, the strong ones propolised the holes shut with jars full last week before we got 3 inches. Not touching syrup now, don't plan to put it back on until october to finish building up for winter if necessary.

A syrup spill within a hive constitutes an emergency situation for the bees, Cleaning up the mess is job one for them. That is the one time when bees will work syrup ahead of nectar. you may have killed a few, but have most likely done little damage to the overall hive. You were wise to close it up promptly.

I'd say most all of us have done that or similar before. Those are the types of accidents we tend to remember most!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/