Default Newbie Beekeeper and new to Bee Source with requeen question

Hello,
    This is my first year at bee keeping and purchased a hive from a retiring gentleman this late spring. It did not do produce any honey. It looks like the queen may be old or tired like me and is not producing very well. Is it too late to requeen, and if not, where might I find a queen? Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Default Re: Newbie Beekeeper and new to Bee Source with requeen question

Welcome to Beesource!

While it is possible -under some circumstances- to requeen in the fall, I don't think that is the best course of action for you to pursue at this time.

Inspect your hive, see how much honey they have stored around the perimeter of the brood frames. You may need to feed sugar/syrup to get them enough stores to make it through the winter.

Consider making plans to add a second hive. Your beekeeping experience is likely to be less frustrating with two hives compared to one. You can "borrow" resources from a strong hive to deal with issues in a weak hive.

Try to find a local beekeeping club to join. And read some more, here's a start:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

When an experienced beekeeper says his/her queen is producing a spotty pattern, I know what they are referring to. When a beginner says their queen is not producing well I do not always have a basis to understand the reference. Without knowing ones ability to asses a brood pattern it is difficult to comprehend the cause and thus determine prudent action.

Understanding that most of the united states has or is about to finish a dearth. and knowing that some queens severely reduce output during a dearth allows one to determine if the queen is in fact flawed. Remember that during certain circumstances it is favorable to have your queen decrease production. Look at the pattern not the numbers when dealing with dearth brood production.

Some good pictures of your brood pattern would help others offer advice.

Re-queening with a bred queen can in theory be done at most anytime of year with little interruption in brood production.

If you determine that re-queening is prudent Look in bee journal for suppliers of queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    When an experienced beekeeper says his/her queen is producing a spotty pattern, I know what they are referring to. When a beginner says their queen is not producing well I do not always have a basis to understand the reference. Without knowing ones ability to asses a brood pattern it is difficult to comprehend the cause and thus determine prudent action.

Understanding that most of the united states has or is about to finish a dearth. and knowing that some queens severely reduce output during a dearth allows one to determine if the queen is in fact flawed. Remember that during certain circumstances it is favorable to have your queen decrease production. Look at the pattern not the numbers when dealing with dearth brood production.

Some good pictures of your brood pattern would help others offer advice.

Re-queening with a bred queen can in theory be done at most anytime of year with little interruption in brood production.

If you determine that re-queening is prudent Look in bee journal for suppliers of queens.
    Thanks for the great advice. I'll see if I can get pics.
    Steve

Thank you for info. Muchly appreciated.
    Steve

Welcome Steve!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Steve, Welcome to BeeSource!
    As said above, get two or better three hives and stay opened minded. You will learn more than you can imagine and what a Great experience. Treat your bees like family and you will be rewarded.
    Cheers!
    "Some of it's Magic, and Some if it's Tragic!" Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog One View Post
    where might I find a queen? Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    I would call Olivarez or Koehnen and pick up a carniolan if you decide to introduce a new queen.

You could also seek advice/suggestions from a local bee club...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I would call Olivarez or Koehnen and pick up a carniolan if you decide to introduce a new queen.

You could also seek advice/suggestions from a local bee club...

I would put pollen sub on them and feed, feed, feed.....
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...