Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keeping Bees with a smile book

I was curious so I clicked that add link. You can scroll through a few of its pages on its ad page. Just when I thought I had seen every type of beehive- his are pretty cool looking. Its like a super big horizontal bee house with jumbo frames. Not trying to comment on the effectiveness of it, or argue his technique, just thought it was "new" and interesting.

I don't see myself buying it until I see other reviews however. The only one who has reviewed it on amazon is the editor

http://www.deepsnowpress.com/keeping...th-a-smile.htm

Default Re: Keeping Bees with a smile book

This is very high praise:

Keeping Bees With a Smile is a valuable guide for independent-minded beekeepers who are seeking ways to keep bees without treating them with chemicals, disrupting their homes, and otherwise intruding on their lives. Fedor Lazutin, one of Russia’s foremost natural beekeepers, describes a beekeeping system based on a trust of a bee colony as a living being capable of solving life’s challenges without human assistance. Beginner-friendly and complete with fascinating photographs, it is a special book, and one that I expect will ‘shake up’ the thinking of the independent-minded beekeepers in North America and Europe.”
    — Dr. Thomas D. Seeley, Professor, Cornell University
    author of Honeybee Democracy and The Wisdom of the Hive

I will have to verify with Dr. Seeley that the quote is his.

Update: I have e-mailed Dr. Seeley at his Cornell address and will post what I hear back.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    I will have to verify with Dr. Seeley that the quote is his.
    I too would be interested in knowing if Seeley actually said what was quoted...

I wonder what race of bees the smiling Russian beekeepers are using?
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I don't know about the book, but I love my long hives.

colorfulyard.jpg

I did read the parts that were available to read, and the author did say that his methods were only suited to the Russian woods, so maybe not universal advice.

Dr Seeley confirmed the quote in a personal e-mail to me today.

I saw the add too and clicked on it. after reading the free pages, I wondered for the cost of the book would it be worth it, wasn't sure if much of his info would be relevant to a Lang hive keeper in North America. The price of the book is to high for me to find out.

I did however purchase a book called the Rose Hive Method. It's a how to book by an Irish beekeeper.
    It's an easy read with some good info in it. Got it last month and have read it twice now.
    He has some YouTube videos too on the Rose hive.

http://www.rosebeehives.com

Glen
    You Tube bee Channel Zone 5A
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GlenGH

Andrew, thanks for confirming the Seeley quote. I ordered the book partly on the strength of that quote.

Also, my wife is half Russian, and I really like the long hive concept so far. The climate and flora in the North Country is somewhat similar to the European Russian woodlands the author resides in, so I'm hoping to learn some interesting stuff.

I'll report on my reaction when I've read it.

Which half Ray?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Didn't realise how big these hives are till I saw the woman standing next to one holding a comb. Now that's a deep.

These are similar to other hives I've seen in Slavic countries.

44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    Andrew, thanks for confirming the Seeley quote. I ordered the book partly on the strength of that quote.

Also, my wife is half Russian, and I really like the long hive concept so far. The climate and flora in the North Country is somewhat similar to the European Russian woodlands the author resides in, so I'm hoping to learn some interesting stuff.

I'll report on my reaction when I've read it.
    Ray got confused. He heard the best way to control mites without chemicals is with Russians....so he married one. Hope its working out.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Okay, I'm going to have to report you guys to the boss. Let's hope you never run into the rough half.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Didn't realise how big these hives are till I saw the woman standing next to one holding a comb. Now that's a deep.

These are similar to other hives I've seen in Slavic countries.

Now that's a heck of a strong woman to handle a comb full of honey like that. I wouldn't want to do it over and over again. Can anyone spell carpletunnel syndrome?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Now that's a heck of a strong woman to handle a comb full of honey like that. I wouldn't want to do it over and over again. Can anyone spell carpletunnel syndrome?
    And lots of bee rolling too maybe!

Glen

I don't really see why just because the comb is longer. One can be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I don't really see why just because the comb is longer. One can be careful.
    Was just thinking because the pivot point is where your hands are holding the frame, at the top.
    The longer the frame, the more swing of the travel off center will occur, if there is any errors in lifting the frame up straight. Similar to a flatbed truck with a longer portion of it bed hanging out past the rear axle, will swing out wider then a flatbed truck with only a little bit hanging out past the back of the axle. The pivot point is at your hands.
    Take a yard stick and a 12inch ruler
    hold them by one end hanging straight down in in each hand. now rotate your wrist 10 degress.
    Which one moves the furthest from off of center?

I could see the bottom edge of the frame being dragged along the frame next to it as the frame is being pulled out.
    That's all I was thinking.

Glen

One nice thing about long hives is that until you completely fill the hive (hasn't happened to me yet) you can move the follower board down a bit, and have more room to pry a frame out.

Though I have to confess, once there are 20-25 frames in the hive, I've quit being so careful, and just pry the frame I want out. The long hive is nice too, in that you always have a place to hang that first frame inside the hive. Then I can pry the frames apart enough to avoid rolling bees.

I got the news today that my copy has shipped. If it were not for the great review by Dr. Seeley I wouldn't be spending the money.

I plan to review the book for the MSBA Bee Line as they are always looking for articles. I will post the review to this thread.

Long hives? The ones in the pics? I'd call them more chunk hives.

Their shape is less far removed than a long hive, from what bees will build naturally if allowed, although in nature the combs would likely run the other way, mostly.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I just got the notice today too that my copy has shipped.

It's cheaper to order it from Amazon (at least in the U.S.). On Amazon it's still sent/bought from 'DeepSnowPress', and the price of the book is the same, but shipping is cheaper if ordered through Amazon.

"extra-deep horizontal hives which were easy and almost free to build. And that’s it: • you don’t need to inspect the bees, treat them or smoke them • no requeening • no heavy lifting • no queen excluders • no hauling hives around • no stings - i.e., none of the hassles and expenses commonly associated with keeping bees
    • keep bees naturally without interfering in their lives;
    • start an apiary for free by attracting local bee swarms;
    • build maintenance-free hives that mimic how bees live in nature;
    • keep colonies healthy & strong without any drugs or gimmickry;
    • help bees overwinter successfully even in the harshest climate;
    • enhance local nectar plant resources;
    • produce truly natural honey without robbing the bees;
    • reverse the global bee decline... right in your backyard!

"

A half hour north of me is a bridge I will sell you for $1.00.

If it sounds too good to be true it isn't.

Another guy making money selling suckers what they want to hear and somehow impossible for any other person to achieve.