Default How long should an escape board be left on if SHB are in the area? On or off the hive

Getting ready to do my first harvest (Warre) and finished my escape board last night. I've seen some advice that they should be left on for 24 hours but that long a time frame can be dangerous if you have SHB around. Is a few hours enough to get the majority of the bees out before walking away with the boxes so that nothing gets damaged by potential SHB's? Also, is it better to do the clearing with the harvested boxes off the main hive so you can monitor those exiting?

Default Re: How long should an escape board be left on if SHB are in the area? On or off the

Excelent question. normaly it takes 3 days for SHB to hatch so 24 hours and then get them extracted and you should be fine!

Default Re: How long should an escape board be left on if SHB are in the area? On or off the

As a general rule SMB prefer to lay eggs within the brood nest, the young need the pollen as well as nectar, or honey. I question weather concern about supers is warranted. In any event 24 to 48 hours would minimize any risk.

I remove the honey super and put it on an escape board next to the hive. I put a cover or another escape board on top of the honey super. If I use another escape board, I like to put something on top that keeps the hot sun from shining onto the honey comb. Within 5 hours most of the bees have left. I like to start this process early AM, and right after lunch start extracting.

Are escape boards really that great?

I smoke the bees down and tilt the supper and blowout with a leaf blower. If you don't have a leaf blower, gives the frames a shake or use a brush to get the stragglers. I get about 95% of the bees takes about 3 minutes per super.

X2 I run my leaf blower with an inverter on my truck batt stack supers on tailgate
    Put a top upside down on the tailgate cover supers with another top or a towel so bees can't get back in
    Easy Peasy
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-05-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: UNQuote
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mike haney View Post
    Put a top upside down on the tailgate cover supers with another top or a towel so bees can't get back in
    Very important! We used cardboard and extra inner covers with the holes sealed. I like the towel idea better

My newbie buddy helped me harvest this year and left a super exposed. O boy, crazy robbing frenzy ensued. Luckily, I caught it early enough, we stopped and they settled down mostly back to normal.

I don't really care for the escape boards. Even after 48 hours there can still be bees inside the supers and I don't like surprises. I do find them handy to put an extracted super from the apiary on an escape board over in my nuc yard. The strays then join the weaker nuc's and it usually only takes about 6-8 hours to be clean.
    2nd Year New-Bee - 22 Hives, 28 Swarms, 3 Cut outs in 2014
    Zone 10 - B - Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras

ok, new bee keeper question.

The old timer I have helped pull honey had a 3 gallon bucket with kitchen towel sized rags in it. They had been treated (lightly) with bee gone and we would smoke the entrance, pull the tops, puff them lightly and place a rags on the top of honey supers. Move through the hives with about 8 to 10 rags, moving back to the first rag placed and the bees would have mostly abandoned that super. We would then pull it, close up hive and move to next. Just kept rotating rags through after pulling 2 to 4 hive's honey.

The rags were lightly treated with bee gone, because I have always been told it would run you off, but they didn't smell to bad.

He is well respected from what I read.

Is there something wrong with this? It worked well, and when I get enough honey to steal I was going to use this method.

we stacked supers on pallets on the bobcat and hauled them off when we got to 20 on a pallet

Bee Go works fine, just don't over-dose them or you will find them bearding on the front of the hive and lose brood! The idea of using rags with a small dose is just fine, and probably easier than fume boards.

With only a few hives like my brother and I have, a brush works fine if you have a covered spare super to put the frames in as you brush them off. Can't leave them lying about, else you will get a feeding frenzy going, but it doesn't take long and the bees tolerate it well. Too slow if you have hundreds of hives, though.

Peter

To some BeeGo is just another noxious chemical that shouldn't be put in a hive
    To me its an unecessary expense
    For the price of a single bottle I have a leaf blower that has lasted close to ten years- so far
    Both work about as well.
    There is a learning curve to the use of BEEGO but its pretty evident how to use a leafblower
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin