Default Cluster of bees oustide hive

I have been noticing for awhile now my bees are clustering outside the hive on 2 of the openings. One opening has a good size ball clustering outside. I read that it could be heat, congestion or ventilation. The temp has been getting colder the last few weeks, it's probably around 10 degrees Celsius, no frost yet. The bottom board has been off all summer so I don't think it is too warm inside the hive or ventilation being the problem so I'm thinking congestion... Where should I put empty top bars if this is the case? I don't think there is much space left and I'm worried about opening it up because it is getting colder. Actually we have had a lot of rain and drizzle lately and it will be in the forecast for the next few days..
    Also what should I be doing to the top bars to get them ready for the winter? There is honey on both sides. Do you shift all the honey to one side?

Thanks

Default Re: Cluster of bees oustide hive

My climate is different from yours, but I feel the overwintering concepts are the same. First of all do not worry about the bees bearding on the outside of the hive, it is totally normal. Second it is way to late to be adding bars. There is no way they could get them drawn out. And finally my top bars have front entrances. I am assuming yours do also? To get mine ready for winter, I make sure the cluster is towards the front of the hive followed by the honey bars. I never leave honey on both sides. Bees will not move in two different directions during winter. Also make sure there are no empty combs or bars between the cluster and the honey bars.
    Hope this helps.
    Matt

Default Re: Cluster of bees oustide hive

Thanks Matt

The hive I have ?'s about has the entrances in the middle.
    Should I move the cluster towards one of the ends??Middle.jpg

The other hive (which was actually a split this year) has an entrance on the front of the hive but to the right.
    In this case should the cluster be moved towards the right side?Right.jpg

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Matt903 View Post
    My climate is different from yours, but I feel the overwintering concepts are the same. First of all do not worry about the bees bearding on the outside of the hive, it is totally normal. Second it is way to late to be adding bars. There is no way they could get them drawn out. And finally my top bars have front entrances. I am assuming yours do also? To get mine ready for winter, I make sure the cluster is towards the front of the hive followed by the honey bars. I never leave honey on both sides. Bees will not move in two different directions during winter. Also make sure there are no empty combs or bars between the cluster and the honey bars.
    Hope this helps.
    Matt