Default SHB being confined to empty comb....should I remove it?

Checked on my TBH tonight and found a dozen or so SHB on some empty comb I added from a failed hive. Sorted through about half the bars and could only find the SHB on the empty comb and none among the comb being actively worked. No sign of SHB larva. The old comb closest to the comb being worked had the most on it and the SHB there were surrounded by a dozen bees which were constantly balling onto them and harrasing them. Since these comb are "extra" and the bees aren't using them should I take them out for now?

Default Re: SHB being confined to empty comb....should I remove it?

I would remove and freeze the comb several days at zero degrees. Remove further comb if necessary to where the comb surfaces are 80% or more covered by bees. If the SHB get a good foothold on one frame with plentiful larvae, they can bring the hive down. Other respondees will probably detail treatment options or you could check other threads. And don't delay until the weekend. This needs immediate attention.

Quote Originally Posted by RudyT View Post
    I would remove and freeze the comb several days at zero degrees. Remove further comb if necessary to where the comb surfaces are 80% or more covered by bees. If the SHB get a good foothold on one frame with plentiful larvae, they can bring the hive down. Other respondees will probably detail treatment options or you could check other threads. And don't delay until the weekend. This needs immediate attention.
    The old comb were frozen for 3 days prior to installing them and were clean except for some old drone brood that the bees cleaned up. Is this still a big concern?

It is probable that they laid eggs, I would freeze it again.

Sys

Quote Originally Posted by nwvandersys View Post
    It is probable that they laid eggs, I would freeze it again.

Sys
    Pulled and in the freezer. I was under the impression that SHB only laid eggs in honey. (Am I wrong?) I originally put the comb in the hive because they were overcrowded (queen-less, laying worker hive that absconded joined this one), but aside from cleaning the comb of some drone larva that were dead they had pretty much left it alone. It has been completely empty except for a little bit of pollen for about 2 weeks.

They lay in the pollen if it is unattended. The bees might not have liked the position you put the comb in. If you put it on the far side of the honey comb but they needed brood comb they may have left it alone despite having enough bees to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen O. View Post
    They lay in the pollen if it is unattended. The bees might not have liked the position you put the comb in. If you put it on the far side of the honey comb but they needed brood comb they may have left it alone despite having enough bees to cover it.
    Yup you nailed it I put it on the far side of the honey. Should I add them back in after another good freeze but this time in the middle of the brood area?

If you think they can use it you might put one back at a time to see. You could put it on the brood side of the first all honey comb and then they will use it for whichever they think they need. If they still don't use it I'd take it out and store it for a flow or spring build-up.