Default Help please. ? Bumblebee queen?

in a pile of "hog fuel" (like bark dust kind of) today as i was shoveling it into a wheelbarrow for distribution I saw a magnificent bumblebee. pretty big and pristine looking. demarcation lines between black and yellow well defined. it sat on the top of the pile for a minute, cleaned it's head with its front feet, turned around and went into a hole. no other bees around although my wife did see one in the same pile a couple days ago. maybe the same bee.

last year we had a colony. lived under a dog house. bees happily came and went and we left them alone. dogs weren't using the dog houses and didn't notice the bees. we waited until mid winter to move the houses which we had to do for other reasons. we had read that by that time the queen has gone off and found a new place to start next years brood.

this year we've seen very, very few bumblebees. so to see this one makes me wonder if it's not a queen. if it is a queen, is there any way we can move her to another location and hopefully have bumblers next year. if it's not a queen i guess it doesn't matter. we'll just be sure not to hurt it.

all i can think of is maybe to take a big plastic bucket like you get at lowes. fill it with the hog fuel and then gingerly scoop around the area where the bee is and plant that bit of hog fuel in the bucket full. Maybe we should just leave the remaining pile of hog fuel there until winter. and then move her.

I'd really like to encourage a new colony and am very grateful i found this site. Any help you can offer will be welcome.

Default Re: Help please. ? Bumblebee queen?

so, 155 views and no one knows any answer to this question. any chance of directing me to a site where someone does know.

thanks very much,

rick

Sorry buddy. You won't find much fortune in demanding answers no one has. Don't get offended. We're all beekeepers, honey bees.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

You can put her in a bumble house with the stuffing from a stuffed animal and feed her fresh pollen in the spring in hopes she makes a nest... More than likely disturbing her or 'capturing' her will kill her.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

I'm sure someone will know something about Bumble bees, I personally don't know about them, hey I have too much to learn about honey bees right now, but I thought that bumble bees were loners... From your description and where you found it sounds like a carpenter bee maybe? look it up and see if maybe that's what you saw.
    No shortage of honey bees near me, they are all over my flowers and garden, and keep trying to break into my hives, but my girls are usually ready for them, although I did see one make it by the guards today

Could be a queen. I believe I read somewhere that Bumblebees die off in the fall, all except for the queen. And she will have a nest underground, with a small amount of honey, where she goes into a dormant state for the winter. Similarly with wasps and Yellowjackets, except for the honey part.

I did not realize you were looking for a welcome and I know very little about bumblebees. However the originator of the post linked below did seem to have quite a bit of knowledge. Maybe he is still around.

Robo Mantis was his username:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=bumblebee

Cheers and welcome to the forums.

I think that you should do a search (google?) on bumble bees. See what they have. There are different species, including carpenter bees. Find out what kind you have and go from there. Are yours northern bumblebees? I don't know.
    Over here we have very large carpenter bees. Some are gold, some are black, fwiw. And that may have to do with male and female, I don't know.
    Good luck, they probably had a nest in the 'pile'.

Ricker here's a thread on it from a while back with some info

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...mble-bee-homes

44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Sounds to me, like you have a wood bore (bumble bee of sorts) hanging around your barn. My advice is kill it. It will bore holes in the wood structure of your barn and weaken it. If it is a regular bumble bee it will attack and kill your honey bees, so I would still kill it. Yesterday I watched a bumble bee fly down and grab a honey bee off the entrance landing of one of my hives and fly away with my bee. So as a bee keeper I say kill every bumble bee and yellow jacket you can. Now go ahead and tell me how bad I am!

That wasn't a bumblebee, it looks like a bumblebee. Kinda.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Google raising bumble bees on the computer. They are very important and I know There is video on U tube on how to raise bumblebees.

I think carpenter bees are a different family than bumblebees. If you have carpenter bees the queens will drill (dig) holes into wooden (pine & cedar especially) that are about 1/2 inch diameter. Then they bore down the grain lay egg and think they plug the hole. The young then come out in the spring. Drones hang around the structure and try to catch newly emerging queens to mate. You will see the drones struggling for the "best" hang out to catch the queens.

Carpenter bees have their place in the forest, but they will do significant damage over a few short years to a 2x6 or 2x8 exposed floor seal on elevated buildings, barn rafters, and exposed timber. Make you feel like superman when you start tearing a place down with a past infestation.

a regular bumble bee it will attack and kill your honey bees, so I would still kill it
    Honey bees can also attack and kill your honey bees, does that mean you should kill your hives?
    Bumble bees are also important pollinators, the main difference is that they are not as suitable for beekeepers and don't produce a reasonable honey crop.
    Should bumble bees be killed simply because they do not have as much use for us?
    Last edited by Kiran; 06-23-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran View Post
    Should bumble bees be killed simply because they do not have as much use for us.
    I suppose you can if you want. You are the only one I have seen suggest it.

the quote says to kill the bumble for killing your honeybees. now i would probably kill one i saw doing that also
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill91143 View Post
    Sounds to me, like you have a wood bore (bumble bee of sorts) hanging around your barn. My advice is kill it. It will bore holes in the wood structure of your barn and weaken it. If it is a regular bumble bee it will attack and kill your honey bees, so I would still kill it. Yesterday I watched a bumble bee fly down and grab a honey bee off the entrance landing of one of my hives and fly away with my bee. So as a bee keeper I say kill every bumble bee and yellow jacket you can. Now go ahead and tell me how bad I am!
    Your not bad !! You just dont know the difference between a robber fly and a bumblebee. Unless the south has a species of bumblebee that collects pollen, nectar, and honeybees that I'm not aware of.

https://insects.tamu.edu/images/inse...t/cimg229.html

Daniel, you totally misunderstood my.
    I am against killing those bumble bees and I clearly stated that they are important pollinators.