Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Should I spend more money or let my bees die

I hear moving a haive short distance is a no-no. I will let the pros comment but I would leave it where it is. Glad the queen worked out, I had to drop 2 queens in my small hive this year as well. Going to weigh the hive tommorrow, hope they are heavy enough. If not I will candy board for winter. Good Luck.

Thanks, 610...What are you looking for in the weight and what is a candy board? I was doing some reading about moving hive short distance. One guy says " to move a few yard a day until you get where you want it " and another says " to close entrance at night move hive to location and wait till mid morning and leave hive blocked and open top of hive and let bees out from top and they will orient themselves again. Don't know just 2 ideas

I wouldnt move it unless you move it a long ways. JMO. I will let the Pros tell you but I hear moving a hive a short distance is not smart. Good Luck. G

Quote Originally Posted by nater37 View Post
    Thanks, 610...What are you looking for in the weight and what is a candy board? I was doing some reading about moving hive short distance. One guy says " to move a few yard a day until you get where you want it " and another says " to close entrance at night move hive to location and wait till mid morning and leave hive blocked and open top of hive and let bees out from top and they will orient themselves again. Don't know just 2 ideas
    I dont know what happenned but I didnt see my last reply on the thread so I replied again. If there are no other hives nearby, I hear you can move it a few yards, but with other hives they say it will cause confusion. You need to close the entrance or put a bush or something at the entrance to make them aware of a change. I would just leave it be myself. A candy board is something used to feed overwinter. insurance. go to Bushfarms.com he has lots of answers. I hope all works out for you. By the way, this is my first year and Im going in with two. Hope I come out the same. Good Luck. G

thanks and good luck to you also .. G

if you don't have any other hives around it i would move it a couple of feet a day untill you get it out in a more sunny location. do it at the end of the day around dusk or in the morn. before they start to fly. and like biggraham610 said a leafy branch or evergreen branch in front of the entrance to get their attention that something has changed.
    I'm from Jersey. South Jersey that is.

Last September I too had a weak hive that I felt would die for sure, it was down to a small population in 1 deep. It was my first year, so my observation skills were lacking at best(and still are) but I didn't see any eggs, queen or brood. Rather than give up on them, I decided to feed 2:1 SW with Honey B Healthy and see what would happen. The hive rebounded nicely within a month, and made it through the winter strong. I harvested 2 packed supers of Honey off this hive in July.

A small investment in Sugar paid off big.
    Good Luck
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

I almost forgot, I also made a split off this hive in April.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Maybe you want to try an observation hive and bring them indoors?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

They're not going to freeze, unless the population is just too low. Since it sounds like they are gaining some traction, why move them?

That's great that you got your hive back on track. A good, productive queen can get things going again pretty quickly, as long as there are enough bees to tend for the brood. I think having the hives in direct sun is best for a lot of reasons. For one, a lot of pests like damp, dark locations. Good luck with that hive. That will be a great feeling if you bring it back from the brink.

http://s983.photobucket.com/user/nater37/library/

Here is a few pics of what it looks like in at about 4 pm and it is facing the north. but they seem to be doing well

It appears too cramped a location for my liking. If the hive were to grow normally the stand would be too high.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by nater37 View Post
    http://s983.photobucket.com/user/nater37/library/

Here is a few pics of what it looks like in at about 4 pm and it is facing the north. but they seem to be doing well
    Can't you move them just a cpl ft so you can get to them from one side or both. Working bees from the entrance end you will find that you get stung a lot more than from the side. Plus, it would be easier on your back.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I think a stand with a hydraulic lift so that you can raise and lower it for the perfect height would be a nice touch!

Yes I think i need to move also. I put the hive there to keep neighbors from seeing
    Last edited by nater37; 09-27-2013 at 04:50 PM.