Default entrance reducer and mouse guards...when?

I live in the north east. Daytime temps are low 60's to low 70's. Eve temps in the mid forties and an occasional dip into upper 30s. Bees are still very active from 8 am til about 530 pm. Mouse guard should be here tomorrow. When do you reduce entrance and install mouse guard?

Default Re: entrance reducer and mouse guards...when?

I have mine reduced now. And glad they are because of all of the yellowjacks trying to get in.
    I have the entrance reduced to about 2" wide. I'll reduce it further sometime next month- using the small notch on the wooden entrance reducer. When we are about to get the first frost I'll put on mouse guards, usually middle of November for me on Long Island in NY.
    If I feed I try to give top ventilation as well so the sugar syrup cures but I'm careful that I don't create a way for yellowjacks or robbers to get in and sometimes use just ice cream sticks for a shim to elevate the cover just a crack.
    You are probably a little colder than my location.

Mine have been on for two weeks. I have had the mice sneak in as soon as the night temps dip so I don't wait.
    I did use a new drill to screw them on this year. The girls didn't mind my old one but they hated the new one. It looked like they were taking merry go round rides!
    Meridith
    I am frequently confused!

Saw these today from dadant , combination entrance reducer and mouse guard for 2.50 , I like making everything myself but these look hard to beat, anyone tried them . http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=212

When the drones are all disposed of, then put the mouse guards on, not before. Otherwise, the hive will have all their bodies as detritus that the bees cannot get rid of. OMTCW

I use the ones from Brushy on all my hives. Look the same except for color. Like them alot, easy on the wallet.
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/528/

I did not buy those, but I did buy these from Dadant:

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=213

Haven't put them on yet...probably in a couple weeks... or when they cut the corn...the mice tend to come out of the fields when the corn is harvested. This is my first time getting hives ready for winter. Hope they work!

cj- my wallet likes those even more! let us know how they work.

Thank you for all the advice and product recomendations.

Did half of mine yesterday the other 15 this weekend.

I have all my reducers on now I put them on as soon as the fall flow slows down just another way to try to prevent robbing. I put my mouse guards on in DEC. that way they can clean things up plus I never had a mouse problem . what I have to do soon is take my SBBs off and put on my solids boards.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Glock , Do you feel its necessary to have the SBB for mite counts and the solid for winter or other reasons .I hadn't heard of swapping them out for summer and fall .

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    Glock , Do you feel its necessary to have the SBB for mite counts and the solid for winter.
    Yes I like SBBs for summer / ventilation/mite counts/plus the bee waste can bee cleaned out every so often nice way to see what happing in the hive .
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

A reduced entrance should keep exploring mice out -- they look for winter lodgings as soon as it gets cool at night, long before they actually move in. A reducer should make it hard enough to get in they look elsewhere.

The reducer will not interfere with hive activities, I left mine on after a robbing attack this summer.

I use metal legged hive stands, painted with automotive enamel. Very slick, hard for the mice to climb up.

Peter

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I will put the entrance reducer in. I think i will wait just a lottle longer for mouse guard.