Default Strange goings on

There's a bunch of dead bees on the ground. I watched for a while and bees are carrying off other bees and they are fighting. There is plenty of food to go around so I didn't think I had to worry about robbing. Killing off drones? All the bees look the same to me except once in a while a larger bee will show up but always leaves. Should I be worried or leave them be.

Gene

Default Re: Strange goings on

Sounds like robbing to me.

dead bees and fighting sounds like robbing. are there bees flying around the hive and trying to find ways to get under the cover or into the cracks between the boxes?

even with enough food to go around strong colonies will exploit weak colonies.

when i see this i usually find out that the hive being robbed is queenless.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Never seen the queen but I only see bees trying for the front door. I checked it today and there Are plenty of bee s inside along with eggs. Only at this for 2 months so I could be wrong. It's raining and they are still at it. Bees flying off in pairs fighting or carrying of dead, not sure which but its happening

Gene

that is strange gene.

seeing eggs is a good thing. maybe you are right about the drone eviction.

I guess it's also possible that some of the foragers got into some poison and are dying after they got back. they will carry off their dead like that.

if they are still fighting you could try reducing the entrance to one or two bees.

Reduce the entrance to about an inch and make sure there are no cracks anywhere.That's classic robbing.

I reduced the entrance right away. I stood there for a while watching closely. They are bringing out dead bees and carrying them off. I don't see anything trying to get in. They all look the same to me Except a small beetle which they promptly swarmed and I squashed. It seems like there are some dead bees inside that they are clearing out. I checked my beetle trap and it didn't leak. The rolling around on the porch is the bee wrestling to get a good grip on a dead bee to carry it off. Why? Carry it off and why are they dead ?

Gene

They could be either being killed in fights with robbers, or they could be dead larvae being removed killed by varroa mites, or the hive could be getting poisoned.

You have taken the right first step in reducing the entrance. You did not say if you are feeding the hive. You should also measure varroa mite numbers somehow, varroa weakened hives are often robbed.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Sounds like robbing to me. Like sqaurepeg mentioned other than fighting and dead bees, an easy way to tell robbers is hovering around the hive, under the bottom board, near cracks, near top cover. The permenant residents, rarely hover around the hive, in and out.

Will putting a screen hurt anything. I can make one easy enough. Tonight would be a good time since they will find it immediately leaving in the morning. I was to focused on the dead bees to notice any hovering earlier but they did their normal evening hover. I did go to Mr Bush's site immediately and educate myself. For some reason I had it in my mind robbing wouldn't be an issue because of constant food source

Gene

Gene as per Squarepeg, you need to figure if it actually is robbing, and as he said one giveaway is robbed hives usually have bees trying to get in any gaps between supers, under the lid, etc. They are bees from other hives trying any which way to get into that hive, not always via the front door. The hives own bees know where the front door is so use that.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Made a screen and put it on. I'll look in the morning for bees trying to get in.

Gene

Some bees trying to get in. I guess I needed the screen. The bees are stil bringing out dead bees.

Gene

http://youtu.be/GD4sdrFIMwM if you look closely some bees have pollen. I didn't think robbing bees came with pollen. I think my bees are just a little bit dumb and can't find the entrance

gene
    Last edited by Genemiller; 09-03-2013 at 03:41 PM.

looks like the fighting has stopped. any more dead bees being hauled out?

No I didn't see any more bees being drug out. Is there any harm leaving it on until the weekend or permanently. It also makes it harder for shb's to enter. I only had window screen and if I tighten the edges they can't get in as easily. If they are guided by smell the same as robbers then the same rules should apply. Any body test the screen for shb stoppage.

Gene

my vote is leave it on. it should make it more difficult for shb's to get in, do you have a beetle trap inside? is this a single deep hive with no supers?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    my vote is leave it on. it should make it more difficult for shb's to get in, do you have a beetle trap inside? is this a single deep hive with no supers?
    Single deep with a plastic sign trap inside. The bees seem to handle them fine but I hate them.
    Trying to completely stop them is strangely enough the funniest part for me. I enjoy problem solving.

Gene