Hybrid View

Default Strange goings on

There's a bunch of dead bees on the ground. I watched for a while and bees are carrying off other bees and they are fighting. There is plenty of food to go around so I didn't think I had to worry about robbing. Killing off drones? All the bees look the same to me except once in a while a larger bee will show up but always leaves. Should I be worried or leave them be.

Gene

Default Re: Strange goings on

Sounds like robbing to me.

dead bees and fighting sounds like robbing. are there bees flying around the hive and trying to find ways to get under the cover or into the cracks between the boxes?

even with enough food to go around strong colonies will exploit weak colonies.

when i see this i usually find out that the hive being robbed is queenless.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Never seen the queen but I only see bees trying for the front door. I checked it today and there Are plenty of bee s inside along with eggs. Only at this for 2 months so I could be wrong. It's raining and they are still at it. Bees flying off in pairs fighting or carrying of dead, not sure which but its happening

Gene

that is strange gene.

seeing eggs is a good thing. maybe you are right about the drone eviction.

I guess it's also possible that some of the foragers got into some poison and are dying after they got back. they will carry off their dead like that.

if they are still fighting you could try reducing the entrance to one or two bees.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Reduce the entrance to about an inch and make sure there are no cracks anywhere.That's classic robbing.

I reduced the entrance right away. I stood there for a while watching closely. They are bringing out dead bees and carrying them off. I don't see anything trying to get in. They all look the same to me Except a small beetle which they promptly swarmed and I squashed. It seems like there are some dead bees inside that they are clearing out. I checked my beetle trap and it didn't leak. The rolling around on the porch is the bee wrestling to get a good grip on a dead bee to carry it off. Why? Carry it off and why are they dead ?

Gene