Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sept 1st

Default Re: sept 1st

Man, nice to hear some honey being made late in the year, shoot where I live I'm surprizes any time it happens.

Also interesting about most of you talking about the low mite counts, sure which we had a better handle on why that is, anyhow good luck to all.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

choice and timing of treatments probably a big factor in that. and it all ties into a long winter and late spring i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Winter? We still have one more honey crop left to chase.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    If you treat now you will have a great hive come out of winter. That equals a nice pollination check from the almond growers. Then lots of surplus bees for bee sales. Splits, bulk bees, frames of brood, an increase in your own hive numbers, and or stronger hives for that summers honey flow thus a potentially larger crop. Your business model is clouded by your desire to keep chemicals out of your hives, but in reality they gather from plants that are sprayed with ag chemicals or plants that are seed treated thus your hives already have chemicals in them.
    So let's add some more chemicals and try to control mites, and put the ladies to bed for winter

Fortunately for us mite levels seem to be fairly low for this time of year. We should be 2 weeks into our late summer thymol program but high temps have put treatments on hold plus the boss has been playing hooky. Time will tell what this all means I guess.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    So let's add some more chemicals and try to control mites, and put the ladies to bed for winter ?
    Yes.
    That is what works, year after year.
    All other discussion is purely theoretical.
    Almond growers don't rent theory.
    They rent strong, healthy, RELIABLE bees and pollination services.
    That is exactly what they can expect when beekeepers DO THEIR JOB!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Very well said Harry!!

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    So let's add some more chemicals and try to control mites, and put the ladies to bed for winter
    So, may I ask what your plan is for getting mite infested bees through the winter?

Even us crazy people want to know....

Crazy Roland

HEY budy --yes this is a seriuors money deal -shipment looks great
    Thanks for all you do--RDY-B

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    So, may I ask what your plan is for getting mite infested bees through the winter?
    Make nucs out of all of the hives one has w/ new queens and having twice as many nucs as one does hives you aught to end up w/ the same number if not more come Spring and then let them grow.

That's not my plan, but it MIGHT work. It's sorta what some folks do w/ potentially more winterkill I would guess.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I am using Thymovar this year , I have my honey all off and I will also be doing an OAV later on towards fall . I have lots of pollen stores in most hives . what do you all consider an ample supply 2 frames 3 frames ? (Deeps of course)
    Also do any of you use Formic , if so when are you doing it ?
    I can't get nutra bee here in NS , I will be using Bee pro Ultra instead , I would have bought nutra bee if I could have found it . unless someone knows a secret place to buy it in canada ?
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    The majority of my hives are managing mites on their own, and any hive that I am really concerned about managing them over winter will receive a grease patty. Vanderpool, No theory here, this is what works for me and my operation, and my winter lost has been around ten percent. However, there is room for improvement, I would like to get that number down to zero I know I am doing my job, and very well if I say so myself! Does doing your job involve something else?

grease patty for mites??? Seems someone is not on the same page...... I think Keith's point was whatever your methods, time to pull that honey and start winter preps. which for most of us is spot on.....

Fields, Your not doing squat... letting your bees manage their own is not beekeeping... its behaveing and luck... no worries if that's your choice, more power to you, but don't dulude yourself into thinking your magic.....

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    grease patty for mites??? Seems someone is not on the same page......

Fields, Your not doing squat... letting your bees manage their own is not beekeeping... its behaveing and luck... no worries if that's your choice, more power to you, but don't dulude yourself into thinking your magic.....
    Yes, grease patties for mites, read up on it,,so I am only doing squat if I treat?, and some call this treating. Call it what you want gmcharlie, and no I don't think I am magic, just putting the ladies to bed for winter does not involve anything else for me. Well besides mouse guards, oh and I say abracadabra in the spring!

Grease patties were used to address Tracheal mites, but not Varroa. Which is what most beekeepers who treat hives are treating for, since tracheal mites have not been a problem for quite some time.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

No one here was referring to Trach mites... which was my point.. you can't test for those without a microscope and a lot of skill. my point was your throwing rocks and you have little to no clue what your talking about. You can keep bees all you like, anyway you like. but its not polite to harass others about what they do when you have no idea what your talking about........
    I personally TRY not to do that.....

grease patty for mites??? Seems someone is not on the same page...... I think Keith's point was whatever your methods, time to pull that honey and start winter preps.
    Grease patties supposedly improve trachael mites, i've never used them. I don't think they do anything for varrao.

I just started fall mite 21 day mite counts via sticky board. My buddies italian hive is loaded vmites however my black bees that originated from an old colony in barn are doing rather well. If we don't treat it will probably die this winter, the queen was superceded a few weeks. I am going to do OA now for a couple weeks and if they live, do one in the middle of winter which will pretty much kill all of the mites.

Im considering OA treating one or 2 of my black bee hives to compare the results to similar sized colonies with same stores and genetics.

So far after 3 days the results are as follows 24/hr avg. If you can't tell, i like the black bees.

1 Italian - 37
    2 Black - 8
    3 Black - 3
    4 Black - 2
    5 Black - 9
    6 Black - 7

personaly I am doing a Achohol wash, like the powdered suger shake, but more accurate... Counts vary from 0-20 per 300 or so bees... so some great, some terrible...

No one here was referring to Trach mites... which was my point.. you can't test for those without a microscope and a lot of skill. my point was your throwing rocks and you have little to no clue what your talking about. You can keep bees all you like, anyway you like. but its not polite to harass others about what they do when you have no idea what your talking about........
    I personally TRY not to do that.....
    I was not referring to Trach mites either, or throwing rocks I believe it was you who did that, by claiming that I am not doing squat. Anyway, grease patties with wintergreen oil helps control Varroa mite populations in late fall and winter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast