Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sept 1st

Default Re: sept 1st

If you say so.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    If you say so.
    ditto. How does the mite come in contact with the patty, do vmites feed on patties. I don't think essential oils do much unless dribbled throughout the hive or vaporized.

Decided not to make a point, The OP wanted an upbeat Reminder to put on Pollen patties, not a ludicrous argument over treated vs not treated...

As far as I know, grease patties work by grease getting distributed around the hive on bees making it difficult for tracheal mites to get through the hairs surrounding trachea of the bees not yet infested.

Also as far as I know, grease patties w/ or w/out wintergreen oil have no effect on varroa mites. They probably don't do any damage.

Hopefully you aren't putting any Terramycin in your grease patty mix. Because that has been shown to promote resistance in AFB because of its slow release.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    The majority of my hives are managing mites on their own, and any hive that I am really concerned about managing them over winter will receive a grease patty. Vanderpool, No theory here, this is what works for me and my operation, and my winter lost has been around ten percent. However, there is room for improvement, I would like to get that number down to zero I know I am doing my job, and very well if I say so myself! Does doing your job involve something else?

Fields I hope you come back in the spring with an update. Most with your mind set just disappear and we can only guess what happened.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    i was not referring to trach mites either, or throwing rocks i believe it was you who did that, by claiming that i am not doing squat. Anyway, grease patties with wintergreen oil helps control varroa mite populations in late fall and winter.
    trol
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    Decided not to make a point, The OP wanted an upbeat Reminder to put on Pollen patties, .
    Fire at will, GM
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

very tempting... but I am also trying to be better! Argumentive makes us both look like fools... and besides, its real hard to get anything pointing out someones stupididty or being critical past Barry

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    very tempting...
    lol
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

The University of Florida is STILL recommending using grease patties for tracheal mite treatment. When I started in 2008 that was the preferred method of treatment, now it's part of their IPM.

You guys are starting to worry me. If I do nothing I feel I'm neglecting my stewardship. If I do too much I'm making lazy, welfare bees that can't take care of themselves. Fortunately I know there's no wrong or right answer. The solution is so evasive because we still don't know the "why" of bee disease much less how to treat it. But we try....and hopefully learn and get better for next year.

From my viewpoint I think all your "arguing" is rather helpful. I appreciate the experience leaking out from the passion in your posts. Just look at the membership pages. Lots of newbies and hungry minds lurking. Keep up the advice and lessons learned.....even if it ruffles friendly feathers.

The University of Florida is STILL recommending using grease patties for tracheal mite treatment.
    Good queens will solve the problem. No need for the grease patties.

Quote Originally Posted by PewHeretic View Post
    The University of Florida is STILL recommending using grease patties for tracheal mite treatment.
    I bet they also recommend not treating for something you don't have. One part of any IPM Program is to determine whether one has a problem, what the problem is, to what degree, and how to best address it. It is a recommendation after all, not a required practice. They are recommending that if one has TM that one use grease patties to address their presence. Feel better now?
    Mark Berninghausen

Yep! Thanks. Sometimes I read/watch/hear stuff and hit the panic button before I've had time to digest it in context.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123