Hybrid View

Default Rookie trap-out question!

Alright, so I got a call from a lady the other day about some bees living above her second story window. I looked at the hive today and found that her house has cedar siding and is about 20 feet off the ground (she lives on a hill so it's higher than a standard two-story). Due to the height and the type of siding she has, I decided to do a trap out and merge the bees with my existing hive, or putting them in a new hive and letting them raise a new queen. I would like to trap-out the queen if I can, but it seems like that can be a hit or miss. I have an empty deep. Since the colony is so high up, I wanted to run a pvc pipe from the entrance of the colonly into my hive body. I will put a trap-out cone over the end of the pvc pipe within the deep to keep them from going back into the pipe. I also thought about putting a frame or two of brood and honey into the deep to try to keep them there. I have a few pictures of the colony in the house and I'll throw them up in a minute. Does anyone have any suggestions to this plan? Will it work? Can I get the queen? Thanks!

Default Re: Rookie trap-out question!

Sounds like a cutout from the inside would have been your best bet in this case.
    I'm thinking that your pvc idea will not be as effective as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Sounds like a cutout from the inside would have been your best bet in this case.
    I'm thinking that your pvc idea will not be as effective as it sounds.
    Unfortunately I think your right. Last night, after writing this post, I did some more research and found that to be a bad idea. I wish I had the option of doing an inside cutout, but I don't think she is comfortable with that, even though she is leaving for a few months tomorrow (she is a pro horse racer). I think I will build a platform and just do a trapout next to an empty hive body. I'll bait the hive with a frame of brood and honey. I'll just try to get as many as I can and if I can't get the queen, I'll raise a new one.

Did you also research what happens to the hive, brood, and nectar when you leave it in the wall unattended by the required amount of bees? That will change you mind (and hers) about not doing the cutout.