Thread: big Swarm

Default big Swarm

Caught a nice swarm yesterday. seemed late in the season for such a large swarm. IMG_20130827_103012_626.jpg

Default Re: big Swarm

Cool.

yes it is late, but I have an observation hive and today I see that they are drawing down two queen cups into swarm cells.....so I expect them to take off in a few days also. And I talked with a fellow beekeeper last night and she had a big swarm the day before yesterday...Crazy bees!

My observation hive swarmed last Saturday and collected high up in a maple tree .... too high to retrieve. They stayed there, through two days of rain, and cool temperatures. I put out a few swarm traps but to no avail. It finally moved on today (Wed.) to regions unknown.

It is all that global warming. August is going to be like the only June. So get ready to see many swarms in the future. Just don't tell any other bee keepers, I want to benefit from the changes in swarm patterns.

I'm putting out a few swarm traps for sure than ! I've read that its best yo put them up high ? Why and any suggestion on height ?

This swarm was about 12 foot high in a cedar tree. I just climbed the extension ladder and took the whole branch.

They say 8 to 15 feet, but I've seen them above that most times. This year two swarms on the ground!

I didn't have a chance to get into the hives today but this after noon I noticed a lot of bees looking around the old house like they were scouts I have to leave town tommorow they will probably swarm then

That is awesome, it makes my swarm look pitiful :P

Quote Originally Posted by nobull56 View Post
    They say 8 to 15 feet, but I've seen them above that most times. This year two swarms on the ground!
    The swarm that moved into my empty nuk yesterday was only off the ground by 2", sitting on bricks laid flat. That's the nuk that wasn't baited. I have a baited nuk about 30 feet away about 3 feet off the ground and today it has a few visitors again. Not as many as yesterday so I wonder if an after swarm is thinking about moving in. The highest I've ever put a bait hive is 5'. I'm not strong enough to do what Beakley74 did.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Bev... If you are in the Moore Haven area, you can set up a bait hive and see if a Fall swarm will move into it. They have before.

The one I caught a couple of years ago was sitting on a blue plastic tub, total of about 2 1/2 feet off the ground.

All of my bait hives (in Kentucky), are on those blue plastic tubs, (I leave them out all Winter and the plastic tubs keep the mice out of the hives), or steel 55 gallon drums. I don't put mine high off the ground, and I catch a fair number of swarms each year.

cchoganjr

Cleo, we are staying on the east coast, Fort Lauderdale, for a few days after the Michael Bush day in West Palm Beach this weekend. I'm checking the map to see about heading back home via Moore Haven...just might do that, and switch out the shed boxes too. Thanks!
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF